Paph. Matienzo‘s Condor

Slippertalk Orchid Forum

Help Support Slippertalk Orchid Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
G

goldenrose

This hybrid is Mt. Toro x kolopakingii. Originator/registrant is Klehm 11/2004.
I got the plant at Oak Hill Gardens during the Chicagoland Orchid Festival, there were 5 plants, this one had 6 flowers for a first time bloom!

The first 2 flowers had a little trouble, as did most on the other plants as well.

Thanks guys! When I walked into Oak Hill & saw one of these on the display, I went AAWWE! The thread regarding kolo for breeding, what it imparts, flower count, etc. I was curious as to what people were thinking of this cross? I'm not seeing stonei but the other 2 certainly come thru loud & clear!The plant is 2 growths, has a leafspan of about 35", no doubt where that came from! The 2nd growth is pushing about 30", so should be good for next year. The flowers aren't big but considering 1st time bloom, I felt they could only get better. The petal length is 7", which I'm quite happy with & maybe that will get better too? As I said this plant had the highest flower count of 6, there was one with 5, 2 with 4 & one with 3. The form/quality of the flowers on all the plants were comparable. The price on my plant was $35 & went down $1 per bud/flower, there was no doubt as to which plant I was taking!

Rose,
The stonei influence could be coming out in the plant, itself. The 35" leafspan is re-enforced by the stonei. My two growth stonei, approx. 36" with narrow leaves. Your plant looks narrow as well. Again, great buy at 35 buck-a-roos!

Rick - you're right! The leaves are 1 1/2-3/4" wide on this plant & the BS stonei I have. I have a couple of other kolo X's & their leaves are 2 1/2" wide. Thanks!

Latest posts

Back