Paph. Magic Mood 'Waikanae' x Joan Thomas 'Gosford'

Slippertalk Orchid Forum

Help Support Slippertalk Orchid Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

masaccio

Reaction score
This one was bought in bud at the 2019 Deep Cut Show on a whim. So reliable, and vigorous. If it looks familiar, my avatar is last years photo of it. This year's seems better. I really just bought it as an hommage to the first orchid I ever "fell for". Walking along inside a Tallahassee greenhouse in the '70s , which was not a dedicated orchid greenhouse, and there it sat, plunked in sphagnum in a styrofoam cup. That was the beginning. Will try to upload this year's and last years for comparison. I didn't muck with post-processing for this year's. I did try but I couldn't get it to look any better so other than cropping, this is out of the camera.L52A0318R.JPGIMG_6127 (2).JPG

All hail the power genetics of Churchill!
Churchill with a nice soupçon of charlesworthii. I have no idea what standard orchid judging would make of it, but personally I love huge spreading dorsal, large, distinct spots (spots with a "mission"), and the pink bleeding through the perimeter from the other side. The trim on the pouch is even and distinct. Mahogany color is dark and well contrasted. It also seems quite well-proportioned, if not perfectly "round" which has always struck me as overdoing a good thing. I can see where the amount of green in the dorsal might be not be considered ideal. And I can also see where in general these might be very much "been there, done that" and not very stylistic these days. :)

Latest posts

Back