Paph. hirsutissimum v. esquirolei, Paph. A. Dimmock

Slippertalk Orchid Forum

Help Support Slippertalk Orchid Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
L

lothianjavert

Here are two oldies.

I have a couple of different paph. hirsutissimum v. esquirolei. One is a super easy grower and bloomer. It's ugly. This one is a pain in the butt, but the flowers are HUGE, and the color is much better. The flash washed out the pink in the picture, unfortunately.

paphhirsutissimum2sprinen2.jpg

This is another favorite, and old 'antique' hybrid, Paph. A. Dimmock, that was registered in 1902. It's a cross of Godseffianum x druryi. Godseffianum is boxalii x hirsutissimum. You can easily see the influence of the parents.

paphalfreddimmockspringya3.jpg

The esquirolei is very nice, but I like the A. Dimmock, too, for its history and quirky good looks.

In checking OrchidWiz, it's interesting to note that in its 106 year existence, A. Dimmock has produced only 8 offspring, none of which has ever been awarded or bred with. Maybe its first offsping's name was intended as a warning: Paph Lord Wolmer X Paph A. Dimmock = Paph Mockery, reg. 1933.

Thanks!

The A. Dimmock I tried to purchase a few years back, but my husband hated it, and I gave in and didn't get it. I was lucky though that the division stuck around, so the following year, it came home, protests or not! :p I was not about to let it get away again! What's funny is that now he likes it. It's definitely one of my favorites.

Your hirsutissimum is really nice; but, that Dimmock is spectacular! I love it....and normally, I don't like any of the insigne, boxalii, villosum crosses at all. It's boxalii shaped with lots of hirsutissimum colours, plus more!...fantastic!

Latest posts

Back