Paph Harold Koopowitz

Slippertalk Orchid Forum

Help Support Slippertalk Orchid Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

emydura

Reaction score
Unfortunately the developing bud barely got out of the sheath and ended up very deformed. I just snapped it off to put it out of its misery. I'm not sure what would cause this. The plant is a good size clump. I wonder if it the stress caused by back to back flowering. This spike was initiated straight after an earlier flowering in which the flowers were open for 3 and a half months. Maybe it would have been better to have had a rest before sending up another spike. I've very rarely had a Paph flower consecutively like this.

The flowers below are from the earlier flowering a couple of months back. You can see why I'm a little dissappointed about the most recent flowering. Everyone should have a Harold Koopowitz in there collection.

David

paphhkdeformedflower.jpg

paphharoldkoopowitz2008sload.jpg

paphharoldkoopowitzs2load.jpg

Too bad about that latest spike, but you've got a very nice clone. Very dark! I agree everyone should have this one - I hope mine will bloom some day. Do you have measurements of the flowers and the plant?

Unfortunately the developing bud barely got out of the sheath and ended up very deformed.....

I had a similar problem with one charlesworthii: 1 flower on a normal length stem, and a 2nd growth developping a bud without stem: the resulting bloom was very small and did just last about 1 week!!

Nevertheles, the other picts show 2 real beauties!!!! Bravo! Jean

Too bad about that latest spike, but you've got a very nice clone. Very dark! I agree everyone should have this one - I hope mine will bloom some day. Do you have measurements of the flowers and the plant?

Well the flowering growth is 57 cm across (22 inches). The growths are seriously big. I can't take credit for those as I bought it as a large division off John Robertson. He lives in a much better climate and is a seriously good grower so i suspect my follow-up growths won't be as big.

From memory the flower size is about 20 cm across.

I use to think these parvi-roth hybrids were over-rated until I saw them in person (first a Dollgoldii and then a Harold Koopowitz). You can't appreciate how big and imposing the flowers are from photos. They are just so impressive. HK is the best to me as the spike length is insane and they are relatively easy to grow and flower.

David

Thanks for the measurements.

I use to think these parvi-roth hybrids were over-rated until I saw them in person (first a Dollgoldii and then a Harold Koopowitz). You can't appreciate how big and imposing the flowers are from photos. They are just so impressive. HK is the best to me as the spike length is insane and they are relatively easy to grow and flower.

David

I know what you mean. I saw one at our show a few years ago, and that is when I decided I had to have one! I finally got one this spring. It was labled as NBS, but it only has an 8" leafspan! I think I'll be waiting a while.

Thanks for the measurements.

I know what you mean. I saw one at our show a few years ago, and that is when I decided I had to have one! I finally got one this spring. It was labled as NBS, but it only has an 8" leafspan! I think I'll be waiting a while.

I don't think you will have to get to 22 inches to flower it. That was on a big established plant. I have 2 other HK seedlings that are 12 and 13 inches across. Both are still single growth plants. The larger one may not be too far off flowering size.

David

The fact that you bought a div., I'm assuming it was in bud and move it to your home could have something to do with the "out of season" blooming. Once established at it's new home it should settle down. Good luck. Great flowers.

Last edited:
Have faith, It will return to it's full potential!
......... It was labled as NBS, but it only has an 8" leafspan! I think I'll be waiting a while.
:rollhappy: Does anyone else find that terminology a bit contradictory? I think FFBS (far from blooming size) is more accurate!:p

It could be NBS for the seller, but not all of us are excellent growers. I'll see how long it actually takes for me to bloom this one.

The fact that you bought a div., I'm assuming was it bud and move it to your home could have something to do with the "out of season" blooming. Once established at it's new home it should settle down. Good luck. Great flowers.

No, it wasn't in bud when I bought it. I had it for 6 months before it first flowered. Normally my Paphs are very seasonal about flowering. You could set a calender by them. I'm not exactly sure when HK's are meant to flower. I've seen them flower in winter before which is when my successful flowering occurred. The unsuccessful flowering was more in spring/summer.

Anyway the new growths are more than a year away from flowering so it has a little time to recover.

David

That's a gorgeous flower. I wish I knew why they do the malformation thing at times. At least you know this is not normal for this plant.

Back