paph hangianum x sanderianum

Slippertalk Orchid Forum

Help Support Slippertalk Orchid Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I am afraid it might be like Woessner Bellsand (Check Google), a Cross I have Seen and don't want to See again.

I think to say that every, paph "waluwense" sucks because there were a few bad ones, flowers are a natural thing, they are all not going to be alike and not everybody is a multi lover, or a brachypetalum lover, or a paph lover, some people might even say why grow a paph they are inferior to the 39,000 other paph species, growing orchids is subject to personal prefrance

sandy is a neat flower but lousy hybridizer. With some exceptions most anything you hybridize with it will have washed out color and crappy form.

Okay. Maybe I should be a bit more direct. Since you haven't posted a photo, how about posting your question in the "Breeding & Production" thread. That's where we "Discuss breeding trends, flasking and seedling culture".

This is the Paph. PHOTOGRAPHY sub-forum. You're question is an interesting one. It might spark an interesting discussion; but, if it's hidden in the photo section, it'll be of no use whatsoever to ST members in the future as reference material because they won't be able to find it.

Still wrong place...

Maybe if it got backcrossed on to sanderianum, the flower could be very nice with longer sepals. Why haven't we seen more backcrossing on to sanderianum such as Lisa Hasegawa (delrosi x sand) x sand?

I've been thinking the same thing but to answer your question I think it is partly a matter of time. Plus it would most likely take a couple of backcrosses (BC2-3) before you are approaching similar petal lengths as the species. And obviously, orchid traits don't segregate as nicely as yellow and green peas. Probably a lot of epistatic gene interactions.

I've been thinking similar along the lines of roth x kolo. Go for the roth flower color and shape but keep kolo sizes and vigor.

I am not sure about s X h, but sanderianum has made some great hybrids so far and it is a great species to have in any Paph. collection IMO. Many photos on internet don't do the justice........regardless how you or I feel about sanderianum and its hybrids, it is a matter of personal preference.
What I don't like about sanderianum and majority of its first generation hybrids is the plant size, and slowly maturing doesn't help either....and all that goes with roths also.

Some of the sandy hybrids are large, I have a 3 growth screaming eagle x sandy with a 40 inch leafspan on the oldest growth, and a kolosand x pey with a 38 inch leafspan, they are both going to bloom, I'll prove these sandy haters that there are good hybrids with sandy hahaha

I don't think anyone is saying that sanderianum should not be used for hybridising. Primary hybrids such as Michael Koopowitz or PEOY are very nice. Hopefully more complex hybrids will be even better when you retain the petal length but not all the floors of sanderianum. But sanderianum's best use is within the coryopedilum group. When you cross it with other groups, the results are pretty disappointing (as to be expected).

What are you hoping for from a cross between hangianum x sanderianum? You won't get 30 cm chunky petals.

With a hangianum x sandy hybrid I'd like to see a very large commanding bloom thats dark colored with thick medium length petals, but it would have to be back crossed maybe twice with the same parent, although both lateral sepals are kind of narrow, anyhow, I'd like to see a good shape bloom of this cross, just my own personal prefrance

Latest posts

Back