Paph Hainanense

Slippertalk Orchid Forum

Help Support Slippertalk Orchid Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Such a commanding presence!! Looks cool!! Wish mine would bloom
Thank you! I find it the easiest to bloom of the Paph's, right behind Venustum's. I keep it very moist all year long, as water loving as my Venustum's, east or west window, in a mix of 50% classic orchiata, 30% sphagnum, and 20% small perlite, and it blooms reliably every year, sometimes twice!! And it puts on new fans like crazy!! I have a second fan spiking on it now also.

I find the same is true with the P. appletonianum. Mine sends up flower stocks when the new leads still look like babies. At first I thought it was going to flower itself to death, but it keeps on going. I'm not really sure how you tell the differense between P. hainanense and P. appletonianum.
Don.

I find the same is true with the P. appletonianum. Mine sends up flower stocks when the new leads still look like babies. At first I thought it was going to flower itself to death, but it keeps on going. I'm not really sure how you tell the differense between P. hainanense and P. appletonianum.
Don.
lol same with my Hainanense! It flowers so much, I thought it was going to lose all its energy and die, but it seems to put on a new fan or two every time it spikes! As far as "H"(Hainanense), and "A"(Appletonianum), the "A" has larger leaves that tend to be less mottled, darker, and more green instead of light grey and dark greyish green like the "H". The "H" is smaller and grows more "dense". As far as the flower, they are very similar, but in my opinion, the flower of the "H" has better form. To me, the "H" seems more precise and formal, and the "A" seems more informal and loose.

Latest posts

Back