Paph. godefroyae var leuchochilum 'Star Burst'

Slippertalk Orchid Forum

Help Support Slippertalk Orchid Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
D

Drorchid

This is a picture of a new Paphiopedilum godefroyae var. leuchochilum. It is one of the best ones I have seen. It is 8.5 cm wide with 5 cm wide petals!

PaphgodefroyaeStarBurst-close-71520.jpg

Robert

This is beautiful. It is difficult to understand how such a small plant can stay alive with such a large flower.

This is beautiful. It is difficult to understand how such a small plant can stay alive with such a large flower.

Yes, usually they are pretty short lived, they must put all their energy into the flowers!

Robert

Congrats - this is an excellent bloom, shape is almost circular and it's got a good stance.

Best regards from Germany, rudolf

Last edited:
Hey Rob....

After the comments on the size of the flower relative to the plant I began to wonder. Is this a multi growth plant?
As a breeder, what do you do with a plant like this? (i.e. one of exceptional quality)
Do you sacrifice the blossom, maybe collect the pollen, and hope it puts its energy into producing another growth?
Or do you let it go, maybe take it to be judged, and not use it for breeding on this cycle?
Or, even though it is a smaller plant, do you self it or out cross it?
I would think you would want to do what you could to maintain the line, so what is the best way to do that?

Back