Paph Forum 2012- Feb 18

Slippertalk Orchid Forum

Help Support Slippertalk Orchid Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Save the date! The 2012 Paph Forum is February 18, again at Behnke's Nursery in Beltsville MD (the US National Arboretum is finishing renovations).

For more information (currently 2011's PF, hopefully soon updated for 2012) go to ncos.us/ncos/paph.htm

Also the National Capital Orchid Society's orchid auction is the Saturday before, February 11 at Behnke's also (if there is snow this weekend, the snow date for the auction is Sunday Feb 19, the day after the PF, so a potential orchid weekend extravaganza).

Paph Forum (more details)

2012 National Capital Orchid Society's 32nd Annual Paphiopedilum Forum
Saturday, February 18, 2012

Behnke's Nursery
11300 Baltimore Ave, Beltsville, MD 20705
(301) 937-1100 http://behnkes.com/website/

The 32nd Annual NCOS Paph Forum will feature internationally-renonwned speakers, an unparalleled selection of Paphiopedilum and Phragmipedium plants for sale by leading vendors, a show table featuring hundreds of slippers in bloom, ribbons and trophies for outstanding show plants, door prizes, a silent auction to benefit the Slipper Orchid Alliance, and American Orchid Society Judging.

Sales begin at 8:00 AM, the program begins at 9:45 AM, and the event concludes at 4:30 PM.
PRE-REGISTRATION IS REQUIRED.
Entry fee is $50.00 (Includes lunch & door prize ticket)
Participation is limited to the first 140 Registrants!
Registration opens January 2012.
Details will appear on the NCOS website soon: www.ncos.us/ncos/paph.htm

2012 PAPH FORUM SPEAKERS
Dr. Holger Polger –China -- Hengduan Mountains Biotechnology in Sichuan, China
“Paphiopedilum Species from China”
Arnold J. Klehm – Illinois -- Klehm Growers “Complex Paphiopedilums”
Eric Sauer – Ohio-- River Valley Orchids “Phragmipediums”
Bryan Ramsay – Maryland -- National Capital AOS Judging Center “Overview of Recent Slipper Awards”

$50 and a 3.5 hour drive to see Dr. Perner speak? I'm going to have to seriously consider this.

If you do come, please introduce yourself.

Last year's (2011) vendors included: Floradise Orchids, VA; Marriott Orchids, NC; Orchid Enterprise, VA; Orchidview Orchids, SC; Paphanatics, CA; Parkside Orchids, PA; Pine Crest Orchids, VA; Piping Rock Orchids, NY; Woodstream Orchids, MD.

In a few weeks, the 2012 vendor list should be available. I doubt Paphanatics will come as they came in 2011 when Norita H came to talk. Hadley of Marriott comes every year, and so does John from Parkside. Supposedly Dr. Perner will be bring some chinese paphs (hangianum, etc).

where are u getting all this info? ncos site only has 2011 info...i wanna register now!!

Anyone from New England want to drive down?

Is NYC considered New England? The bus to DC is only like $50 Round trip!

Yeah,but I would imagine that one horrible trip.I haven't been on a bus to NYC and back since I was a teenager,and it was a mess then.

where are u getting all this info? ncos site only has 2011 info...i wanna register now!!

Anyone from New England want to drive down?

It was published in NCOS' December 2011 newsletter.

Lunch last year had a choice of roast beef, chicken, turkey, ham, or veggie sandwhich with a fruit cup, pasta salad, cookies and softdrinks (lunch is included in the registration fee). There are usally extras if folks wanted an extra sandwhich, cookie, etc.

The US National Arboretum is currently under renovations, so the Paph Forum's temporary home is a Behnke's Nursery. It was a great location last year as the natural light through the greenhouses allowed the participants to see the flowers in all their glory.

New Paph Forum info

(Info from the Paph Forum organizers; I guess email them for a registration form, or PM me with your email address and I can send you a registration form)

December 31, 2011
Greetings Paphiophiles!

You are cordially invited to register for the 2012 National Capital Orchid Society (NCOS) Paphiopedilum Forum. The 32nd annual Paph Forum will feature internationally-renowned speakers, an unparalleled selection of Paphiopedilum and Phragmipedium plants for sale by leading vendors, a show table featuring hundreds of slippers in bloom, ribbons and trophies for outstanding show plants, door prizes, American Orchid Society judging, and a silent auction to benefit The Slipper Orchid Alliance (SOA).

To donate selected and awarded plants and other items to SOA for their silent auction, please contact Barbara Tisherman at [email protected]. The auction is concurrent with the Paph Forum.

Please visit the NCOS website for further details regarding the 2012 Program and Schedule, Plant Exhibition Guidelines and Plant Entry Form, and further Meeting Registration Information. Content should be on the website in the next week or two. http://www.ncos.us/ncos

Date: Saturday, February 18, 2012 Location: Behnke Nurseries, 11300 Baltimore Ave, Beltsville, MD 20705, (301) 937-1100
http://behnkes.com/website/
Time: 8:00 am – 5:00 pm

Speakers: DR. HOLGER PERNER –CHINA
Hengduan Mountains Biotechnology - Sichuan, China
“Paphiopedilum Species from China”

Arnold J. Klehm – Illinois
Klehm Growers “Complex Paphiopedilums”

Eric Sauer – Ohio
River Valley Orchids “Phragmipediums”

Bryan Ramsay – Maryland
National Capital AOS Judging Center “Overview of Recent Slipper Awards”

Confirmed Vendors: Cove Corporation, MD; Floradise Orchids, VA; Hengduan Mountains Biotechnology, China; Klehm Growers, IL; Marriott Orchids, NC; Orchid Enterprise, VA; Orchidview Orchids, SC; Parkside Orchids, PA; River Valley Orchids, OH; Woodstream Orchids, MD.
(NCOS Member Plant Sales) Members current on 2012 dues and pre-registered for the Forum may sell slipper orchids.

Pre-registration is required. The entry fee of $50.00 includes lunch and a door prize ticket.

Participation is limited to the first 140 registrants!

Please return the attached registration form with fee (checks payable to NCOS) to the Paph Forum Registrar:
Lynn Evans-Goldner, 5810 Huntingtown Road, Huntingtown, MD, 20639
Email: [email protected]
See you at the Forum!
Bill Goldner & Lynn Evans-Goldner
Co-Chairs, NCOS Paph Forum

Bob, I was sent an email from the paph guild a few months ago with a link to Perner's web site to pre-order plants. he didn't have anything out of the ordinary. if i can find it, i will send it to you. russell

ps the plants look healthy

Latest posts

Back