Paph. Edna Ratcliffe

Slippertalk Orchid Forum

Help Support Slippertalk Orchid Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Sue

evil genius
Reaction score
Paphiopedilum Edna Ratcliffe = (St. Swithin x praestans 'Knob Creek' HCC/AOS)

Cross registered under P. glanduliferum, since RHS does not recognize P. praestans as separate.

Right at 7" from the tip of the dorsal to the end of the petals.

Click through and then on "all sizes" to see all the hairy detail.

As beautiful as Paphiopedilum Edna Ratcliffe is (one of ours is currently in flower in the greenhouse now), just to keep you in the picture, her permission was not actually asked for when this plant was named!!! She was furious as multi-floral Paphs. were not one of her favourites and if any Paph. was to be named after her, it would have been a white or pink Complex! So sorry Dot, no Grandma (Edna) would not have been pleased!! ;)

As beautiful as Paphiopedilum Edna Ratcliffe is (one of ours is currently in flower in the greenhouse now), just to keep you in the picture, her permission was not actually asked for when this plant was named!!! She was furious as multi-floral Paphs. were not one of her favourites and if any Paph. was to be named after her, it would have been a white or pink Complex! So sorry Dot, no Grandma (Edna) would not have been pleased!! ;)

i dig these stories!
thanks so much!!

I love multis, I would be honored to have any paph named after me, even if it were a maudiae type which are my least liking. Did she ever soften?
Great shots Sue and good growing!

Congrats Sue these are lovely flowers and shots!
As to the story about Edna Ratcliffe I own a paperback book of her. And although the title is 'The Enchantment of Paphiopedilums' you can read her fondness for those comlex hyrids between the lines.

It's not so much being honoured to have a Paph. named after you, it was more the fact that being a world famous Paphiopedilum breeder herself, renown for Complex hybrids, she wasn't even consulted over the naming!!! Anyway, not much we can do about it now!! Just remember if any of you fancy naming an orchid after a friend .... ask first LOL!!:rollhappy:

Latest posts

Back