Paph. Doll's Kobold

Slippertalk Orchid Forum

Help Support Slippertalk Orchid Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
G

goldenrose

an OZ cross - henryanum x charlesworthii, at the top of my favorites list!

4"pot, 1 previous bloomed growth, one in bloom & 3 new growths.

WOW... Rose that looks awesome, what a great looking flower, and you're right Dot sure looks like a complex. Jim.

Looks like a complex, but it's a primary!

Is that because one, if not both, of its parent flowers had already been "improved" by selective breeding/crossing to changing the shape of the flower? If that is the case is it truly a primary?

Not knocking your orchid as it's beautiful. Just trying to learn.

Is that because one, if not both, of its parent flowers had already been "improved" by selective breeding/crossing to changing the shape of the flower? If that is the case is it truly a primary?

Not knocking your orchid as it's beautiful. Just trying to learn.

Firstly, this is an awesome primary! Well done!

Very deep thinking here Ed. Technically, it is still a primary hybrid as no matter how many generations passed. The chuck and henry used are still those species, just using the Maxim and Men's Health representatives of the population. Mom nature does her own toothpicking all the time, she just lets all the silly goof balls (nerds, jocks, and cheerleaders alike) have their shot. Terry Root is just a little bit more selective on who he lets in the gene pool, only the hotties breed at OZ. :)

There are certain breeders that strive to preserve the "jungle" look even after many generations of "captive" breeding. Both have their uses IMO.

Excellent topic!

-Ernie

I understand that Terry Root is considered one of the best orchid breeders and I certainly mean no offence but it is like breeding only for "cheerleaders" and weeding out all the others. Would this not be a sad world if we got rid of all the diversity? Is that not part of the allure that draws us to orchids?

It's like the Miss America contest. Only those that meet some supposed image of perfection are allowed to compete. Diversity is part of the beauty of life and should be celebrated.

Let me push this in another direction and I mean absolutely no offence to anyone.
I have seen several comments / wishes expressed that a spicerianum's dorsal would stay flat. I suppose that sooner or later someone will, through selective breeding, produce a spicerianum with a flat dorsal. It would probably also be possible to breed the purple stripe out of the dorsal. So then you could have a spicerianum with a big flat white dorsal without a stripe. Technically it would still be a spicerinaum but in the process you would have bread out two of the things that make a spicerinaum a spicerinaum.

I suppose that sooner or later someone will, through selective breeding, produce a spicerianum with a flat dorsal.

Terry Root has done just that. The dorsals are pretty darn flat. And there are those who feel just like you do.

but it is like breeding only for "cheerleaders"
Since the cheerleaders are the ones who sell best and garner the most awards, then they're the ones you breed for. Same with dogs, cats, etc. In any hobby there's a criteria of "perfection" that is strived for. Anyone crossing sub-par plants is wasting precious bench space. It doesn't do anything for the hobby or trying to surpass the parents, either.

WOW did this thread change over night, I never imagined! It's interesting how individuals view & see things & the thoughts that are sparked! I have taken no offense!
I don't see this primary as complex looking at all. Henry & charles are two of my favorite species & the combination of the two shows the best of both as far as I'm concerned. This cross could also show a common fault and that's the reflexing of the dorsal. I call it a fault only because you lose detail of the flower & the way it's viewed. I felt I got lucky on this plant, it has bold spots in the center, it has finer peppering as it moves out & there is a hint of veining on the outskirts of the dorsal. If that dorsal reflexed like it would normally in both species, one would lose that so I thank Terry! (and if Dot, Uri, Ramon or Todd were photograping this flower it would be outstanding!)
I understand what Ed is saying but we will still have diversity but each breeder will have a different eye for what he/she likes & is breeding towards. Didn't wild plants have these traits in order for Terry to pick & chose which direction he wanted to go? When anything is "judged" isn't the goal, to a big degree, to achieve some kind of perfection? How many of us have benches or windowsills filled with show quality plants? Not many, we're going to buy & keep what is appealing to us & I think this will maintain diversity.

Goldenrose,

I am sorry I hijacked your thread but when others were voicing what I .....

Since this is a hybrid my point is somewhat lost. I am just concerned that someday (if we haven't already) we will lose the species and not be able to recover them because we bred out certain genes and can no longer find a plant that has them. It is not that I do not like hybrids because I do. (I am currently angling for a Spicy Henry)

You have a beautiful orchid.

No apology necessary Ed. I think we all found it rather interesting with the direction it took!
This is a first time bloom, I'm so looking forward to next year!
Thanks guys!

Latest posts

Back