Paph. delenatii

Slippertalk Orchid Forum

Help Support Slippertalk Orchid Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Does it have some dunkel genes?

I love this scent, I was lucky enough that both of my dels are nice and fragrant. Different people describe it differently, but to me it is more akin to the smell of southern magnolias than it is to roses (which is the most common description). Of course, rose fragrance is familiar to almost everyone world wide, where as the scent of southern magnolias isn't quite as ubiquitous so it's completely understandable.

Does it have some dunkel genes?

I love this scent, I was lucky enough that both of my dels are nice and fragrant. Different people describe it differently, but to me it is more akin to the smell of southern magnolias than it is to roses (which is the most common description). Of course, rose fragrance is familiar to almost everyone world wide, where as the scent of southern magnolias isn't quite as ubiquitous so it's completely understandable.

I wondered that. It has a dark lip!

Regarding the smell, it's very sweet floral/citrus. That's the best description i can give it.

That's probably the best way to put it.
I don't think rose nor magnolia has citrus kick to their scent.

My Armeni White does give off scent at random time and since armeniacum is scentless, I'll take that as delenatii scent.
It is sweet floral/citrusy as you say.

Does Southern Magnolia smell any different than Magnolia??

Hard to say. There are at least 2 native magnolia species in my area that are fragrant that I'm aware of. Magnolia macrophylla is called Big Leaf Magnolia, and is deciduous. It has a different fragrance than Magnolia grandiflora, the Southern Magnolia, which has a decidedly sharp, intense floral fragrance similar to (but quite distinct from) gardenia. Of course, many of the deciduous type (hybrids) are fragrant, as well. Different ones have different fragrances. There's even one with an orange creamsicle scent.

If you've never smelled a southern magnolia and you love fragrant plants -- you're really missing out. If a big tree is in bloom anywhere in your neighborhood, you know it.

I don't think I've seen southern magnolia. I just looked up images of flower and leaves. Very different. Are they hardy up here??

The one I'm most familiar with ( in the Far East) is Magnolia denudata.
Large white flowers that smell amazing!!!
Sweet floral scent I would say. Similar to gardenia but distinctively different.
It's a symbol of spring to many people in Asia. Big white fragrant Magnolia everyone loves! :)

The white flowered one I see around here have much smaller flowers with skinny petals but more numerous petals than M. denudata.

Very nice clone with a nicely colored pouch, and super fragrant to boot.
What more could you ask for? I have 75 of these and I find that most
of them are fragrant. As far as smelling like roses, to my nose, the smell
is more like that of sweet peas. Besides fragrance in roses seems to have
taken a back seat in commercial rose breeding, no longer deemed important.
It's all about head size and stem length now. Of course if you happen to
have garden roses, that is another story. Jerry

Very nice clone with a nicely colored pouch, and super fragrant to boot.
What more could you ask for? I have 75 of these and I find that most
of them are fragrant. As far as smelling like roses, to my nose, the smell
is more like that of sweet peas. Besides fragrance in roses seems to have
taken a back seat in commercial rose breeding, no longer deemed important.
It's all about head size and stem length now. Of course if you happen to
have garden roses, that is another story. Jerry

True. There is a specialty shop here which deals only with roses. Soooo many colors!!! None are fragrant. Ok, a couple are very mildly scented. Very disappointing.

Latest posts

Back