Paph dayanum?

Slippertalk Orchid Forum

Help Support Slippertalk Orchid Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Hugorchids

Reaction score
Hi everyone, I bought two dayanums from a vendor last orchid show. they were labeled as dayanums but when I asked the vendor why the leaves look different he said, he's not sure but why not bloom it out? so I was sold and bought them home. fast forward 8 months later the blooms almost look alike. I read somewhere there is a lowland vs. highland type of dayanum. is this true?

Very nice, both of them! I have heard the same thing and recently had the opportunity to acquire both leaf varieties.. Yet to bloom them though. Surprisingly, the flowers on both of your plants look almost identical! Your 'lowland' plant (lighter green leaves) has larger and darker flower than the highland one. The common notion (at least to me, but I may be wrong) is that the lowland produces larger flowers but paler than the highland. Anyway both are nice and if you should have the opportunity to self them, I think you should :)

Many barbata type pahs show wide variation in leaf markings and pattern. I once had a callosum sublaeve that had the most gorgeous blue green foliage, totally unlike any callosum I've seen...flowers were typical sublaeve. And look at the range in appletonianum leaves!

yes, plant culture is the same. low light, temperature between 65 -70 degree, nothing special. I should have post pictures of the staminode, because clearly they are different.

There are no lowland and highland forms of dayanum, there is one colony in Moru Poru ( sometimes sold as 'petri'), and a much bigger colony on the Ranau side.

So far both are genuine, seed grown, not artificially propagated dayanum. When the collectors supply, there is a wide range of leaf type and they usually come from both colonies. Some can be really huge with 30cm individual leaf.

so there's not even a varietal name?

I walk around in the forests here in TN and see similar leaf variation in things like the Jack in the pulpits. Dark and light plants right next to each other.

As long as the pollinator doesn't care the differences are meaningless.

But those are really nice dayanums, and hard to get bored with them when you have such variety to look at in your own collection.:clap:

I have 3 plants and yes, they are all slighty different in appearence. One is still in bud, would you like to swop pollen?

so if I bred them...uhm...what will I end up with? It's really strange that they can both be called dayanum, i thought the staminode difference will separate the two..oh well what do i know about taxonomy, I just like growing these things.

so there's not even a varietal name?

Moru Poru plants/Mari pari spur plants are sometimes called Petri. In Burbidge's ' The Gardens of the Sun' book, they speak about cypripedium petrianum from marie parie, that's the same...

Others are called dayanum. There is a lot of variations, and the best flowers can be 22cm... Seen them even in the Kundasang War Memorial

Moru Poru plants/Mari pari spur plants are sometimes called Petri. In Burbidge's ' The Gardens of the Sun' book, they speak about cypripedium petrianum from marie parie, that's the same...

Others are called dayanum. There is a lot of variations, and the best flowers can be 22cm... Seen them even in the Kundasang War Memorial

Wow, 22cm, that must be a dayanum and a half!

Back