Paph. callosum

Slippertalk Orchid Forum

Help Support Slippertalk Orchid Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
It looks like its going to be a nice flower Ed & I would love to have one like it but that IMO, its a hybrid. Callosum may be there but a long way back in the parentage. The ventral is one huge give away.

Ed, great looking callosum (line bred). Far removed from the wild type but this is what hybridizers/ breeders are looking for! Roy can call it a hybrid and in away it is. Through very selective breeding this is example of the "modern" callosums on the market these days.

It has great potential.
Roy, do you think line breeding might result in this dorsal?

Dot, the Dorsal is fine, its the ventral sepal behind the pouch that is too big for a callosum. The width of it is seen in a number of hybrids out of Taiwan in recent years. The best callosums have that great dorsal but only a small but much improved ventral backing the pouch. I would expect this ventral to be seen in the P.Hsinying Web, Ruby Leopard etc crosses. ( which this resembles)
Its a great flower and definitely award potential but not as a species IMO.

I love large ventral sepal in maudiae types. As an aside, Which species are used to make them larger in maudae-type breeding?

To my knowledge, there isn't a species that does that to the ventral. The feature seems to have appeared in Maudiae breeding out of Taiwan. How they got this feature is a mystery but one could assume that its to do with lab' modifications of the seed.

To my knowledge, there isn't a species that does that to the ventral. The feature seems to have appeared in Maudiae breeding out of Taiwan. How they got this feature is a mystery but one could assume that its to do with lab' modifications of the seed.

I think you are underestimating what generations of selective breeding can do, and overestimating what can done in a lab. But if a laboratory manipulation was involved it could as likely be done in a species callosum as in a hybrid anyway.

I think you are underestimating what generations of selective breeding can do, and overestimating what can done in a lab. But if a laboratory manipulation was involved it could as likely be done in a species callosum as in a hybrid anyway.

Underestimating selective / line breeding, I don't think so. Then why is this the only one that has been shown in the last 10 years when the mass produced paphs in Taiwan or Japan are yet to have it appear.
Line bred callosums have been around for decades and none have got anywhere near the ventral size of this. Line breeding can do great things but in the case of species, this usually improves the main features, which in P.callosum is the dorsal and maybe the petals. The enlarged ventral only started to appear with P.Pulsar, Hsinying Web, Ruby Leopard and the odd Mod Maude remakes plus crosses of all these. The 4n Maudiaes should produce this feature and don't.

Underestimating selective / line breeding, I don't think so. Then why is this the only one that has been shown in the last 10 years when the mass produced paphs in Taiwan or Japan are yet to have it appear.
Line bred callosums have been around for decades and none have got anywhere near the ventral size of this. Line breeding can do great things but in the case of species, this usually improves the main features, which in P.callosum is the dorsal and maybe the petals. The enlarged ventral only started to appear with P.Pulsar, Hsinying Web, Ruby Leopard and the odd Mod Maude remakes plus crosses of all these. The 4n Maudiaes should produce this feature and don't.

There always has to be a first. I can't claim that this MUST be callosum, but your assertion that this can't possibly be callosum based on what is quite possibly a single gene difference in a highly selected line many generations from the wild is far from certain.

There always has to be a first. I can't claim that this MUST be callosum, but your assertion that this can't possibly be callosum based on what is quite possibly a single gene difference in a highly selected line many generations from the wild is far from certain.

This a possibility but I would like to as sure of winning a lottery as I am that this is a hybrid and not a 1 in a million chance of a selected species line breeding producing this. As I said, I like the flower and would certainly like it in my collection.

Thanks for the comments everybody.

Roy, one ofthe first questions I asked when I started growing orchids was, given all the differences that you see from different vendors for a particular spieces, how can I be sure which is truly a species orchid plant. The answer, from many on this forum, was you can not and for that matter you probably could not find a true species plant for most of the orchids outside of going out and collecting one from the wild.

And yes with the ventral is approaching that of the modern complex hybrids, which I don't like, but I bought form a very well known dealer and it was listed as a callosum. So do you trust nobody?

Thanks for the comments everybody.

Roy, one ofthe first questions I asked when I started growing orchids was, given all the differences that you see from different vendors for a particular spieces, how can I be sure which is truly a species orchid plant. The answer, from many on this forum, was you can not and for that matter you probably could not find a true species plant for most of the orchids outside of going out and collecting one from the wild.

And yes with the ventral is approaching that of the modern complex hybrids, which I don't like, but I bought form a very well known dealer and it was listed as a callosum. So do you trust nobody?

Ed, #1 is that buying a true to name Paph species is difficult depending on the type of Paph it is. Normally this problem occurs in the sequential bloomers and can be seen in a multitude of examples. Sometimes a P. Maudiae can be mistaken for a callosum. The rest have very few similar species they can be mixed up with. IF a nursery buys in flasks of seedlings they can only go on what the label says until they flower. Mistakes happen either at the flask sellers place with incorrect labelling or recording of their pods, the lab' they were flasked at, or at the place of retail.
In most cases it is a total mistake and with bought in flasks/plants its not the retailer. I think most forum members have been victum of this problem.
#2, as mentioned, selective breeding can have a great influence on the improvement on the quality of species but to create the ventral as in your plant is just (IMO) not a option. Personally, I would be checking with the nursery form which it came.

Latest posts

Back