Paph callosum 'Vin Huei X Daya'

Slippertalk Orchid Forum

Help Support Slippertalk Orchid Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Ozpaph

ST Supporter
Supporting Member
Reaction score
First flowering seedling. Wonderful colour which took me a lot of 'fiddling' to get close to correct in the photos. I notice it has no prominent warts on the petals like other callosums.............. I hope its the real thing.
Does anyone have photos of the parents. Not sure of its origin.

rDVKp.jpg

Lovely big hanging ears :)

The photo looks really good. For me, vinis are the most dificult to capture in a shot

First flowering seedling. Wonderful colour which took me a lot of 'fiddling' to get close to correct in the photos. I notice it has no prominent warts on the petals like other callosums.............. I hope its the real thing.
Does anyone have photos of the parents. Not sure of its origin.

That's a very nice one...

Warts are just as subject to selection as any other characteristic, and I don't find it surprising that a plant with this many generations of selection behind it could lose the characteristic warts of callosum. By selecting for even coloration and broad flat petals, unless you are consciously selecting for warts at the same time there is probably effective selection against warts.

That's a very nice one...

Warts are just as subject to selection as any other characteristic, and I don't find it surprising that a plant with this many generations of selection behind it could lose the characteristic warts of callosum. By selecting for even coloration and broad flat petals, unless you are consciously selecting for warts at the same time there is probably effective selection against warts.

Thank-you. Very sound reasoning, and reassuring.

Wow! That's ni-iiiiiice! Gimme! ; )

Other than no warts, there is no reason to think it's not callosum. The idea of it being callosum, just an extreme example of selective, captive breeding is certainly plausible. As long as other callosum characteristics are still there, I'd have no hesitation in going with that identification. After all, it did come to you with that name; so, just because it's particularly special doesn't mean it's automatically not named correctly. You just lucked out....BIG time! Big envy here!

Beautiful well coloured bloom with great attitude. Lots of callosum character, but also some reservation. It is a plant like this that causes the problems, as a callosum it is a stunner, a one in a million plant and so the temptation to use it in breeding is strong. Obviously fantastic if it is callosum, but problematic if it is not. The Taiwanese have done so much mottle breeding over the last couple of decades that being sure is not easy. It is so easy to get a label switched around, so I understand your dilemma. I have a 'Don Carlos' which looks like a callosum on steroids, I guess you are correct, we have to trust the breeder.
Congratulations on a fantastic plant!

It is spectacular if it is a callousum. But how do you know it's not a hybrid?

How do we know if any plant is the species or hybrid it is claimed to be?

With few exceptions, anything that is 7/8 species X is going to be almost indistinguishable from species X, especially if the hypothetical species Y involved is similar to begin with. And if someone has gone through at least 3 generations of breeding to get there what motivation do they have to pass it off as callosum? Even if someone just happens to find such a plant, there really isn't economic incentive, especially in a plant that can't readily be cloned.

In this case, what is the possible source of wartlessness that could be a large enough part of this breeding line to yield wartless progeny, but still give an overall appearance that is otherwise seemingly callosum? Again, you'd be looking at several generations of breeding to get there. To sell an unbloomed seedling that might look like this? The simplest explanation is callosum with warts bred out.

This flower has Paph callosum "Sparkling Burgundy" as an ancestor. It gave rise to the vinicolor Paphs that have improved so much over the past 20 years. The Paph callosum "Jac" (also known as viniferum) has much more prominent spotting with the same dark color, and gave rise to "flame" Maudiae types. This is a very nice flower!

Latest posts

Back