Paph. Brecko Wishmist

Slippertalk Orchid Forum

Help Support Slippertalk Orchid Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Sue

evil genius
Reaction score
Brecko Wishmist = Avalon Mist x Vista Wish

Avalon Mist is a purebred Cochlopetalum hybrid; a back-cross of Pinocchio to primulinum. (Pinocchio = primulinum x glaucophyllum) Vista Wish, if I'm not mistaken, is a yellow/brown Complex. So this hybrid is half Section Cochlopetalum and half Section Paphiopedilum. As you might expect, there are additional buds on the spike (2, I think), but there's no way that the spike will hold more than one bloom at a time. Size is very good: N.S. of 9.6cm.

Brecko Wishmist = Avalon Mist x Vista Wish

Avalon Mist is a purebred Cochlopetalum hybrid; a back-cross of Pinocchio to primulinum. (Pinocchio = primulinum x glaucophyllum) Vista Wish, if I'm not mistaken, is a yellow/brown Complex. So this hybrid is half Section Cochlopetalum and half Section Paphiopedilum.

Interesting result with not much obvious Cochlo showing in the flower. I like the shine and smooth blended color.

Vista Wish is indeed a complex, but like many complex hybrids it is not pure section Paphiopedilum. In this case just a smidge of brachy and barbata and a dose of unknown, but there can be a lot of brachy and more in other complex hybrids.

Thanks, Kirk! I always suspect that might be the case with complexes, but I never go through the effort to look it up.

Texture is not as thick or waxy—softer, with a soft fuzz feel on the back of the dorsal.

Regarding the Cochlo presence: I am glad that the petals don't seem to be twisting, and glad that it *does* have the little hairs running along the margins of the lateral petals. You can see them on the large-size version of the photos.

Latest posts

Back