Paph Blanche Sawyer 'Snowman' AM/AOS

Slippertalk Orchid Forum

Help Support Slippertalk Orchid Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Ross

ST Supporter
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Blanche Sawyer = F.C. Puddle x Gwen Hannen ......Awarded in 1964

PaphBlancheSawyerSnowman.jpg

The cross was made and registered by Clark Day in 1962. The 'Snowman' clone was exhibited by Gordon Sawyer in 1964. I believe that Hadley Cash does have divisions of this plant as does Orchids, Ltd.

It's interesting to me that a plant of Gwen Hannen still existed in 1962. It's a very old cross of the villosum-derived Florence Spencer and the famous early tetraploid Christopher 'Grand Duke Nicholas' registered by Moore (for whom the George Moore Medal is named) in 1922. It is, to be nice, not the most attractive plant in terms of form. So interesting that in the days of superior greens and yellows Clark Day would choose to use it. Gwen Hannen is an important parent of greens through Gwenpur 'Symmetry', the cross of Gwen Hannen with the green Maudiae x niveum (and therefore pink) Paph. Purity. I wonder if Clark Day (who succeeded in making some of the most broad crosses in paphs) knew something we don't know. I remember reading in an old AOS Bulletin how Clark Day would cut open puffy buds to get or place pollen even before flowers opened because doing so gives the longest contact between pollen and stigma possible. He credited his broad-spectrum crosses with doing so...

In any case a beautiful flower...a parent of 34 hybrids not one of them good...although Lime Ice (x Denehurst) has had some interesting and pure white offspring like Ice Magic.

Back