Paph Bel Royal 'Pam's Pride'

Slippertalk Orchid Forum

Help Support Slippertalk Orchid Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Wendy

Just me!
Reaction score
Here is Paph Bel Royal 'Pam's Pride'. (rothschildianum x kolopakingii) This plant was a division that was given to me by John M a couple years ago. There is a history with this plant but I will leave it up to John to tell it. I am honoured to have a piece of this gorgeous primary. The leaf span of the plant is 44" (8" pot) and so far the NS of the flowers is 6"...I expect that to increase as they expand in the next few days. No scent yet but I fully expect one to develop as kolo smells like cat pee.

Attachments

• 2009_0313PaphBelRoyalPP0001.JPG
    2009_0313PaphBelRoyalPP0001.JPG
    59 KB · Views: 34
  • 2009_0313PaphBelRoyalPP0003.JPG
    2009_0313PaphBelRoyalPP0003.JPG
    35.7 KB · Views: 29
  • 2009_0313PaphBelRoyalPP0006.JPG
    2009_0313PaphBelRoyalPP0006.JPG
    65.5 KB · Views: 49
  • 2009_0313PaphBelRoyalPP0007.JPG
    2009_0313PaphBelRoyalPP0007.JPG
    38.7 KB · Views: 23
A pretty nice couple of blooms for this kolo 'monster'!!!! Very nice clear colors!!! Please show a pic when all are open!! Jean

What about the story John :) ?!

What about the story John :) ?!

It's beautiful, Wendy. You've done spectacularly well with this.:clap::clap::clap: I'm so glad that you have a piece.

Here's the story: Pamela Gaskill was a good friend and customer of mine who lived in Ottawa, Ontario. One time, while visiting her greenhouse, I drooled all over her Paph. Bel Royal. It wasn't even in bloom; I was just so impressed with the huge, long, wide leaves! I knew it was going to be something to see in bloom. Pam did bloom it eventually and it had 6 flowers on one stem for it's first bloom. With the pot standing on a little 8" stepping stool, the top flower was higher than Pam! Then, about 5 years ago, Pam was diagnosed with a brain tumour. Her prognosis was not good and she began to find new homes for her plants. She sent this plant to me via her daughter and Pam passed away shortly after that. The plant was two growths when I got it and when I repotted it, I saw that each growth had a very healthy root system; so, I divided it and gave one of the growths to Wendy.....as a sort of safe keeping tactic. Although, my piece was in the greenhouse during the freeze, it didn't die; but, it's been seriously set back and now it won't bloom for at least a couple more years. Wendy's piece has been under lights in her warm grow room; so, she is way ahead of me with it. This is the first blooming of either of our pieces and only the second blooming for this clone. Pam bloomed it just once before she gave it to me. I gave it the clonal name 'Pam's Pride' and hope that one day it will get an award. It would be a perfect way to honour Pam's memory. She loved her Paphs!

Here is a photo of Pam with her 'Pride' and joy. Unfortunately, I only had a printed photo, not an electronic one. I put the photo up in my office; but, the sun faded it terribly. Before it went completely blank, I scanned it.http://i5.photobucket.com/albums/y180/JohnNM/PaphBelRoyalPamsPride2.jpg

Great pict.!!!! respect for Pam having had the idea during these bad moments of giving her plants in good hands!!! Jean

Wendy,
Very nice Congrats!!! Are you going to self it?? It would be another way of giving Pam some grand kids!!

Tom

Thanks everyone!

I'm not going to self it on this blooming but may on the next. I don't know anyone currently who does flasking so would need to search. There were a couple people who did it but they have since stopped.

A lovely flower and a lovely story to go with it. I'm sure Pam would be proud of her baby. :)

Latest posts

Back