Paph barbigerum??

Slippertalk Orchid Forum

Help Support Slippertalk Orchid Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
D

dustywoman

I'm thinking not. It doesn't look anything like the ones I've seen on the web. I've had this for at least 4 years, having bought it as a little seedling on ebay. It still is a little plant for such a relatively large bloom.

Looks more like a complex hybrid to me. But what?

I still like it, whatever it is. Just to get something to bloom is an accomplishment for me. :rollhappy:

barbigerum1.jpg

barbigerum2.jpg

Who did you buy it from? I once bought a "barbigerum" from a guy on Ebay (I think....it was Larry's orchids...but its been awhile...). I sent it back because it was obviously a hybrid. He sent me a replacement that was obviously the same type of plant. Then I gave up............In his unlikely defense, this was before I was aware of the rhizomatosums/vejvarutianums circulating that are within the barbigerum complex, and sold as barbigerum, that are much larger in foliage (and dare I say, much less charming..). The plant died before it could bloom, so I'll never know...but your plant is clearly a hybrid. Take care, Eric

Who did you buy it from? I once bought a "barbigerum" from a guy on Ebay (I think....it was Larry's orchids...but its been awhile...). I sent it back because it was obviously a hybrid. He sent me a replacement that was obviously the same type of plant. Then I gave up............In his unlikely defense, this was before I was aware of the rhizomatosums/vejvarutianums circulating that are within the barbigerum complex, and sold as barbigerum, that are much larger in foliage (and dare I say, much less charming..). The plant died before it could bloom, so I'll never know...but your plant is clearly a hybrid. Take care, Eric

I wonder if there are some knowledgeable members out there who could give pointers as how to distinguish a true barbigerum from a hybrid (by foliage alone)? And can you elaborate on the rhizomatosums/vejvarutianums plants within the barbigerum complex?

Hi Eric,

Yes, that's exactly where I got this plant from. When I got it (still guessing over 4 years ago) it was a tiny seedling. It's not much bigger now, so the size of the bloom really surprised me. I was expecting something more on the lines of a small insignie type bloom, and I got this.

I'm ok with it. I didn't pay much for it, and it is cute.

Would be interested in learning about rhizomatosums/vejvarutianums. Whew, that's a mouthful!!!!

Read the latest Orchid Digest. Apparently there is a range of variation within barbigerum, ranging from the tiny plants we are familiar with, to normal sized forms. I think...but I don't have the article with me, that "vejvarutianum" is considered within barbigerum, but rhizomatosum is a different species. (But with an earlier name being the correct one...slips my mind at the moment.) I'm sure Olaf could help on this, and if Guido is still on the list we know he would have opinions......There were earlier threads here on that topic....Take care, Eric

Uh....Ive heard.......that the plants on the vej/rhiz are much larger, perhaps, if I had to recall from this conversation, the leaves are ~10" and ~.5-.7" wide. Ive also hear that despite there being a lack the "minute charm" barbigerum has, the vej is fairly vigorous.

They are easier to bloom than the tiny barbigerums, and somewhat more vigorous...but bland. The whole charm of barbigerum is its tiny size. Bring all that up to the size of a villosum or insigne, and all you have is a generic paph, with no distinguishing features...like a dull hybrid. Its great for species collectors who want a complete collection, but they have nothing that comes close to villosum, gratrixianum, or insigne...even the ordinary ones. Take care, Eric

Latest posts

Back