P. philippinense

Slippertalk Orchid Forum

Help Support Slippertalk Orchid Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

PaulS

Replated Protocorm
Reaction score
First flowering of my first ever phil flower. The label says it's an alba sib cross. I don't think so!

A question. Is the alba colouration a recessive allele? If so, with both parents being albas the offspring could only inherit this trait. Logically this is a mislabelled flask/ seedling.

Yes, albino, album, et. al. are recessive genes. The fact that both parents are alba/album does not guarantee that all offspring will be the same. So, it's perfectly reasonable that your plant is labelled accurately.

Personally, I'm not a fan of alba/album plants, so I'd be perfectly happy with your results. At the same time if you expected a alba/album seedling, it's easy to see why you'd be disappointed.

Long story short, your plant is probably accurately labelled. There's no guarantee of green offspring. If you weren't in a different continent I'd offer to take the plant off your hands. The end.

Not alba but there's plenty of colour in that Paul. Some clones are very pale and washed out so this is a very nice one to me.

Beautiful burgundy tones in those petals and dorsal. Contrasts nicely with the pouch. Nice one!
I also have a first flowering seedling, the colour is very different to yours (To be honest I prefer yours)

It's a winner. There's good colour depth and very nice form to the dorsal and the petal twists. A lot of Paphs out there are labelled album; but, they are actually very, very, very pale colouratum forms. They look album to the casual observer; but, upon very detailed, closer inspection, they are found to have coloured washes or tiny speckles somewhere on the flower, indicating a pale normal, not an album. When used in breeding, normal coloured offspring are the result.

Thanks John, that explains a lot. If the parents were true albums they could only pass on that allele as they would be homozygous recessive.

I'm not particularly disappointed, I thought I'd hit it lucky finding an album as a first phil. I got it from Ivan, I think. I bought lots of seedlings from him a couple of years ago when I lived in Surfers.

Homozygosity would be meaningless if if the two parents were homozygous for different alleles. There are multiple genes controlling "color". A mutation in any of those genes---producing an allele for "alba"---could produce albinism when homozygous. If each parent had a mutation in a different gene then in crossing them each of the offspring will have inherited a function "color" allele alongside with an "alba" allele. The only way to know if this is the case is to self the plant. I think this is a very important exercise in discovering the genetics underlying albinism in the strains so I would like to encourage you to try some breeding.

Thanks, Tyrone. I intend to do quite a bit of breeding one day (when I have the space). It looks as though I will need to put quite a bit of thought into planning how to go about researching the genes that control colour. If they are separate genes I would need to first find out the degree of linking and whether or not they are on the same chromosome.

Hmmm, deep thinking! I am more of a 'shotgun' person. Could be all the wine and beer I drink (and the scotch, rum, cognac, tequila ........)?

Outstanding flowers on this one, Paul. I would be quite pleased with them (even if they didn't turn out to be the alba variety).

Steve

I love the coloring! Wouldn't be disappointed at all! I've had a tendency to pick lighter colored clones, didn't realize that until I had 3 phili x's in bloom at the same time. :p Time to go back the other way!

Latest posts

Back