Oxalis

Slippertalk Orchid Forum

Help Support Slippertalk Orchid Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Sometimes when I water, I can feel the seeds hitting my face as the water causes the pods to explode. So it does not take long for the plants to start sprouting all over. Another amazing thing is how quickly the tap root grows!

I just pull it whenever it pops up. But it's quite a survivor, and no matter how thorough I am, I still find a tiny plant every once in awhile.

Interestingly, there's a greenhouse near me that sells the stuff--different varieties that they claim are cultivars and rare varieties. So far I haven't been tempted to buy any. :)

There used to be a commercial orchid grower here in town that had quite a bit of oxalis in many of their pots. One of the growers tried to tell me it was some sort of "ornamental ground cover." I do admire clever marketing strategies, but that was probably going a bit too far.

Oxalis species can be really great, mainly in the yard. Not all are annoying pests. O. adenophylla has gorgeous grey-green corrugated leaves. Unfortunately I have never kept it alive past a season or 2. But the purple "shamrock" Oxalis that are sold everywhere are great. I planted mine in my yard, comes back very well every year.

We have trifolium (purple leaves) in pots out in one of the greenhouses right now

This is like selling dandelions - I actually saw someone at an organic farmers market selling some "non-invasive, edible" varieties. I didn't buy any.

In the yard it's not invasive. My small clump comes back every year, but never spreads no gets larger.

This is like selling dandelions - I actually saw someone at an organic farmers market selling some "non-invasive, edible" varieties. I didn't buy any.

:) if they plant it I try to grow it. As irony, there are some pots that have weeds bigger than the oxalis (it's not as vigorous as the light green variety that's in orchid pots and everywhere else :) )

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I have quite a few pots where the paph has disappeared and there is only oxalis left. I like to think that the disappearing paph is the result of the oxalis rather than my poor culture.:eek:

There is a product called Diuron 80. It kills the oxalis and doesn't seem to effect the orchids. I've used it twice - both times several years ago - with no apparent harm to the orchids. Diuron 80 is a powder and is not expenxive. It also comes in liquid form, but the name escapes me.

I'm pretty sure it's been used by Hawaiian growers for a long time. Tom or John from Parkside told me about it and I guess their Hawaiian suppliers told them about it.

It was not easy to find, but a local Agway (farm supply store) got it for me.

Latest posts

Back