Orchids on Mars

Slippertalk Orchid Forum

Help Support Slippertalk Orchid Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
500W?? That is three time what I use in all my rooms, including aquaria..... you really mean 500W?
With 500 W - a few t8 fluorescents - you could light many m2 with plants.

Speaking of aquaria, are these water resistant? No need to worry about really high humidity? Do these combine with other lights well for more naturalistic colors?

Why does 500w seem high? When I was growing under light my main bench was 30"w x 8'l. The lighting was two dual lamp HO strip fluorescent fixtures with a homemade reflector. This provided 440w to an area of 20 sq ft. (I believe that's about 2 sq m).

As I have to look for every eurocent, changing from t5 to led is a question every time I have to change a fluorescent. Up to recently, the output in lumen did not match t5 - with equal W.

lost the quote form happyrotter: that amount for 47 m2 would have been my choice.

Speaking of aquaria, are these water resistant? No need to worry about really high humidity? Do these combine with other lights well for more naturalistic colors?

A few weeks ago I needed a new bulb - or led for my aquarium. For the first time I took a led: 11W 950 lm; that is a bit less than the bulb I had before. 4000K (I'd have preferred higher ºK) 120º amplitude. I managed to assemble the led-lamp into the reflector of the former aquael 11w bulb; it is hanging over the open aquarium, no issues with humidity so far.
The overall impression is good; yellowish compared to 6300ºK before, nice shadows on the ground, and the plants have reacted that means, they get more light right now (the bulb loose intensity with time). The price for a new compact bulb would have been 21 euros; for the led it was 12 €. First time that led was cheaper with nearly equal lumen output and same W.

And there is no need as far as I know to use red and/or blue leds. I'll try and upload a pic.

P1172901.jpg

Led to the left 11W 4000ºK; t5 (sorry: not t8!!!) 2x 14W 865 Phillips right

Probably another reason why the pot growers like this- no need to worry about thermal imaging in cold weather and police visits.

That's exactly why!
And to lower their energy bill....Not the cost of energy because they can surely afford it....they need the bill to have smaller numbers so it looks like it could be a home.

Probably another reason why the pot growers like this- no need to worry about thermal imaging in cold weather and police visits.

This is exactly what drives development of these lamps. Pot plants grow large and compact, flower heavily and with a high level of THC, so I've read... Consider also someone with several 1kW hps in his grow up operation. Led take much less power so they don't have to be connected directly to hydro lines, which happens with hps and can cause fires or otherwise alert public utilities with high power bills. :evil:

Water and electricity don't mix. These lamps have fans to keep the individual diodes cool so they should be kept away from direct contact with water. Like I wrote to Lance, you can combine them with fluorocompact lamps to get natural greens. I tried it and it works. As for humid atmosphere, I would keep it at no more than 75 to 80 %. This will be my next test, next winter.
I won't use the lamp in summer while the plants are either outside or inside in front of large sunny windows. The main problem I have in winter is dryness in the air. The basement is much cooler, which helps.

Secun, if you buy directly from China, you will pay a lot less. The bulb you bought was most likely made in China anyway.

Here is an example:

http://www.aliexpress.com/item/5PCS...-led-bulb-lamp-light-B22-AC85/1718998196.html

I just ordered fifteen 12W bulbs for $52 (Cad) - that's €37, with free shipping. I'm replacing all the cfl bulbs in my house.

I find that the local retailers are just greedy when it comes to LED's. They charge what the market is willing to pay, which is about a 500% markup. As much as I'm in favour of buying local, when the product itself is not made locally, I can't get very patriotic. Eventually, as people discover direct sources online, the retail prices will drop to more reasonable levels, but for now the prices from 3-4 years ago are still stuck in consumers' minds, and retailers are taking advantage.

For those interested in trying led grow light panels, the Internet is a good place to investigate but be aware of the hype and wide difference in prices for equivalent power panels. Also there is a lot of obsolete stuff made up to pass for new. Prices are coming down with the introduction of new more powerful chips. White chips have showed up recently at 10W rated power. Look for quality and after sale service. When I bought my panel, I went for the 700W panel but they had none left and offered me a 900W for the same price. That shows good business sense. :)

And there is no need as far as I know to use red and/or blue leds. I'll try and upload a pic.

P1172901.jpg

On your aquarium the light color looks great! It makes the water look more natural, like black water...which is actually yellow. :)
If the plants are actually aquatic from black water then they probably will be growing better with the new light color.

As I have to look for every eurocent, changing from t5 to led is a question every time I have to change a fluorescent. Up to recently, the output in lumen did not match t5 - with equal W.

lost the quote form happyrotter: that amount for 47 m2 would have been my choice.

A few weeks ago I needed a new bulb - or led for my aquarium. For the first time I took a led: 11W 950 lm; that is a bit less than the bulb I had before. 4000K (I'd have preferred higher ºK) 120º amplitude. I managed to assemble the led-lamp into the reflector of the former aquael 11w bulb; it is hanging over the open aquarium, no issues with humidity so far.
The overall impression is good; yellowish compared to 6300ºK before, nice shadows on the ground, and the plants have reacted that means, they get more light right now (the bulb loose intensity with time). The price for a new compact bulb would have been 21 euros; for the led it was 12 €. First time that led was cheaper with nearly equal lumen output and same W.

P1172901.jpg

Guppy breeder?

For those interested in trying led grow light panels, the Internet is a good place to investigate but be aware of the hype and wide difference in prices for equivalent power panels. Also there is a lot of obsolete stuff made up to pass for new. Prices are coming down with the introduction of new more powerful chips. White chips have showed up recently at 10W rated power. Look for quality and after sale service. When I bought my panel, I went for the 700W panel but they had none left and offered me a 900W for the same price. That shows good business sense. :)

Shiva, your information is a few years out of date. 10W chips are nothing new, and by now if you're paying more than $2/chip, you're being ripped off.

Your post simply illustrates my earlier point that retail vendors in the West are taking advantage of people's ignorance about the latest in LED technology, and overcharging accordingly. Go have a look at what's available on alibaba and aliexpress in LED chips, light panels and fixtures. You will never look at locally sold fixtures again.

Shiva, your information is a few years out of date. 10W chips are nothing new, and by now if you're paying more than $2/chip, you're being ripped off.

Your post simply illustrates my earlier point that retail vendors in the West are taking advantage of people's ignorance about the latest in LED technology, and overcharging accordingly. Go have a look at what's available on alibaba and aliexpress in LED chips, light panels and fixtures. You will never look at locally sold fixtures again.

After looking, I can see bigger than 10W chips but panels still have 5W chips, the same as I have and at more than three times the price. The ChloroBA has a 180° coverage but is less powerful and sells for $1500. But you are right, the 10W chip is old news.

Latest posts

Back