Orchid Society of Alberta Show photos

Slippertalk Orchid Forum

Help Support Slippertalk Orchid Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Thanks for the pictures! Seems like a great show. :) That caudatum type phrag is amazing! :clap:

Does anyone else think that the "paph. fowleii var. alba x hennisianum var.alba might possibly be mis-labelled?

Does anyone else think that the "paph. fowleii var. alba x hennisianum var.alba might possibly be mis-labelled?

This is one of Paramount's; when I was at their green house recently, Chuck told me there were a few vini-colored ones that came out of the cross. So no, it wasn't mislabled.

This is one of Paramount's; when I was at their green house recently, Chuck told me there were a few vini-colored ones that came out of the cross. So no, it wasn't mislabled.

Yes, I recognize it as a cross that Paramount carries. I was just surprised that it turned out to be such a dark vini flower. The ones I have seen all have much lighter coloratum colors.

Yes, I recognize it as a cross that Paramount carries. I was just surprised that it turned out to be such a dark vini flower. The ones I have seen all have much lighter coloratum colors.

Yes, it seems to me that Chuck said most of them were the coloratum types, like the one I bought from him below in Dec/07. He was quite excited about that really dark one; it was in spike when I saw it at the greenhouse.

IMG_0230.jpg

Love that Den loddigesii 1 Wish I could get my to do that. The plant is as big but it had two flowers last year!:(

I'm sorry but if this is the truth then this blow genetic inheritance out of the water! Niether species has ever had a vini color brother or sister discoveried in the wild.....Vini's comes from callosums NOT these two.

I'm sorry but if this is the truth then this blow genetic inheritance out of the water! Niether species has ever had a vini color brother or sister discoveried in the wild.....Vini's comes from callosums NOT these two.

The Stanhopea costaricensis, me thinks, was mislabled too. I have this species and it isn't nearly as yellow. Also, it is a summer bloomer not winter...

The genetics issue is very interesting. It should be a simple matter to test it for callosum DNA markers. These are now available online, all you need is a geneticist to do the bench work.

Whether a vini can come from 2 alba would depend on what caused the alba traits to begin with in either species. If the alba mutants were dominant in crosses, then one could find a small percentage (about 25%) having colour in the next generation. It could be that the genes involved were suppressors, that suppressed colour expression, and now when both the suppressors were absent you get over expression of the colour---but why such a lovely rich and untainted red? This far fetched explantion is too far fetched... Though, because we know so little of the physiology and biochemistry of colour in these plants, I would not be so adamat that this cannot be what it is claimed to be.

A relatively simple DNA test would reveal the truth.

DNA test may be simple to preform, but hard for a hobbiest to arrange. Expensive as well. I think we are a few decades away before this technology has a practicle application in our hobby. Simular to the way you can get your mutt dog tested to find out its ancestral heritage.

Were there any AOS awards given out at the show?

Kyle

Thanks for the pictures! Seems like a great show. :) That caudatum type phrag is amazing! :clap:

There is no way that cross will produce vinicolor flowers. Neither normal (coloratum) form is particularly dark, in fact both can be rather bland. Vinicolor genes come from Paph callosum and nowhere else, hence this plant is mislabeled.

I made it to the show as well. Made a few purchases (no Paphs though), still kicking myself over a few that I should have bought. Almost missed a vendor who had custom's troubles. Volunteers and vendors were great.
Not really a Phrag guy but this Phrag. besseae was nice.
IMG_22142.jpg

This Masd. veitchiana was huge.
IMG_2234.jpg

Shaun

The Coelogyne cristata is grown by Terry Letendre. Terry also had a masd. awarded. I don't recall which one it was but I do know he bought it from Ecuagenera last year.

The vendor who was delayed was Ecuagenera. Their plants arrived and then were sent to Toronto by Air Canada for some unknown reason. It took Air Canada a day to locate and return the plants so that they could be processed by customs. Somehow Ivan took it all in stride and was his usual pleasant self.

Latest posts

Back