Orchid etiquette

Slippertalk Orchid Forum

Help Support Slippertalk Orchid Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

tant385

Reaction score
I am collecting orchids for 4 year now and i am very serious about orchid viruses. I tested most of my orchids, without regret discard positive ones. Surprisingly, not many were positive before, but I can see clear pattern. If 2 or 3 plant from same nursery appeared positive I never go back to this vendor. And vice versa. Recently I visited a well known grower and found very nice blue cattleya. It cost me about 50$ without buds, so it was not the cheapest one in my collection. I particularly asked vendor if he test it, the answer was no, but the blue bloom was always clear and he even recently cloned it. I did not test it, virus testing is not cheap.Keep aside from my other plants just in case. OK. 2 month later it bloom for me and flower looks little suspicious. I test it and yes, ORSV positive. Should I contact vendor? He probably will not be happy. What is the orchid etiquette in cases like that?

If I find a problem with a purchased plant, I always contact the vendor. I don't ask for a replacement or harass the
vendor. I just think the vendor should know if something
is wrong so he/she can take steps to correct the problem.
After all, I'd like to know if I sold or traded a problem
plant.

There is nothing special about orchids or their vendors.
Treat them like anybody else.

Lowe's has money back guaranty btw.

If I find a problem with a purchased plant, I always contact the vendor. I don't ask for a replacement or harass the
vendor. I just think the vendor should know if something
is wrong so he/she can take steps to correct the problem.
After all, I'd like to know if I sold or traded a problem
plant.

that's a good approach

Cloning without virus testing probably isn't best practice, but any testing done couldn't guarantee the plant you bought. I agree you should inform the vendor, without complaint or accusation. A good vendor will want to know and may offer a partial refund or store credit.

One positive test isn't good, but if the plant was very expensive I'd test again to make sure. One of the methods of cloning is to take meristem tissue so small that the virus hasn't been able to enter it yet.

Elmer Nj

Did I understand correct that you can take virus infected plant and clone it in a way that meristem plants will be clean? Do you have links where i can read about it?

Last edited:
Did I understand correct that you can take virus infected plant and clone it in a way that meristem plants will be clean? Do you have links where i can read about it?

I read that years ago in Orchid Digest. Which nursery was it if you don't mind me asking?

I could not find any specifics related to the topic?

I also remember an article saying either ORSV or CymMV cannot be removed by mericlonung?

(Off topic of thread but related to the comments)
A friend did some experiments (long time ago) on cleaning viruses from various plants (roses, mums) using a process of rapid growth and tip cuttings. The method was to grow the infected plants at extremely high temperatures and then take tip cuttings and repeat the process rapidly. The idea was that the heat slowed the virus spread in the plant tissue and at the same time the heat caused the plant tissue to grow very fast and out run the virus. Then the propagator could cut off a small tip cutting that the virus had not infected yet. The method did have successful results on fast growing plants.

Back