Not often seen-Primary Paph

Slippertalk Orchid Forum

Help Support Slippertalk Orchid Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
What do you all think about Tim's nitrogen stavation idea? I guess I sorta did that each fall when I switched from balance fertilizer to "super bloom" stuff, which I didn't do this last fall season.

I got my Paph Cooksonii to bloom by accident a few years ago. I purchased it from Paul Phillips of Ratcliffe Orchids when he came to talk at our society. It was a beautiful three growth plant for a reasonable price. I asked Paul what it looked like and he said he didn't know as they had yet to bloom any

Fast forward a few years to a Paph Cooksonii that has even more growths, looks beautiful as a foliage plant and has been subjected to the northern Minn summer, with its temperature range from 95F(35C) down to 40F(4C). When I brought it in for the winter, I had no space for it in my prime Paph area, so I stuck it with some of Julie's Cattleyas in a southeast window of the spare bedroom, left there to struggle through the short, dark days of November, December, and January. Sometime toward the end of February as the sun was coming out longer and increasing in intensity, we had to cram the spare bedroom full of stuff from another closet we were remodeling. The remodeling went slowly and the Cattleyas and Cooksonii got very little water for several weeks because of the junk blocking the way to the shelf. After the mess was cleared, normal watering resumed and not long after, the Paph Cooksonii was in sheath. It bloomed again the following year when given the short, dry rest in the same spot.

PaphCooksonii.jpg

PaphCooksoniiplant.jpg

If it doesn't bloom this year I will throw it in a south or west window this fall and let it have short, dull days and very litttle water. I'll try anything.

I got my Paph Cooksonii to bloom by accident a few years ago. I purchased it from Paul Phillips of Ratcliffe Orchids when he came to talk at our society. It was a beautiful three growth plant for a reasonable price. I asked Paul what it looked like and he said he didn't know as they had yet to bloom any

Fast forward a few years to a Paph Cooksonii that has even more growths, looks beautiful as a foliage plant and has been subjected to the northern Minn summer, with its temperature range from 95F(35C) down to 40F(4C). When I brought it in for the winter, I had no space for it in my prime Paph area, so I stuck it with some of Julie's Cattleyas in a southeast window of the spare bedroom, left there to struggle through the short, dark days of November, December, and January. Sometime toward the end of February as the sun was coming out longer and increasing in intensity, we had to cram the spare bedroom full of stuff from another closet we were remodeling. The remodeling went slowly and the Cattleyas and Cooksonii got very little water for several weeks because of the junk blocking the way to the shelf. After the mess was cleared, normal watering resumed and not long after, the Paph Cooksonii was in sheath. It bloomed again the following year when given the short, dry rest in the same spot.

PaphCooksonii.jpg

PaphCooksoniiplant.jpg

:drool::drool::drool: Excellent!!!

Ramon:)

I would really like to see Cooksonii back crossed onto a roth. It could be fantastic. I don't have access to breeding history at the moment but I bet there isn't much with Cooksonii due to difficultly blooming. Does anyone know if this cross has been done and what the name of the cross is (if so)?

Latest posts

Back