North Jersey Orchid Show (1/15 - 1/17)

Slippertalk Orchid Forum

Help Support Slippertalk Orchid Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
thanks for sharing. I was too busy at work to get to judging. In fact, after working the overnight shift later I'm probably going to go straight to the event. :eek:

Not a bad show. Donna and I went early today. Much warmer than where they held the show last year. I wasn't particularly impressed with the paphs. that Ten Shin had to sell. They had lots of complex but I didn't see labels. I asked about another paph. and was told it was a hangianum x with something. I suggested malipoense and they agreed and then said it was Memoria Larry Heuer. Couldn't have been Mem. Larry Heuer if it was made with hangianum. The one guy, is always too pushy for me. I didn't buy anything from them. Like usual, we get there early and leave before it gets crowded. Was glad that we went. Knew many of the vendors so had lots to talk about.

Hey Bob, should have mentioned you were going I was there all morning could have met up. We may have walked right past each other. Definitely warmer than the last venue, and the people there are very nice!

I know that eric eric and Clark will post slipper pictures later so I took some of other interesting things

Elmer Nj

Those were definitely Mem. Larry Heuer.
They were all in this icy minty green that I love, and one even free from markings, I was very tempted but the plants were all very big.
I don't know what they feed them in Taiwan. lol

I picked up a couple of thaianum ( at home I found out the roots were poor but leaves were still rock hard. Hope they survive), a couple of chamberlainianum ( one was in spike and I quickly picked that one up first), one Gloria Naugle ( yet another one but this one had no spots on the underside), a couple of aerangis fastuosa in bud ( my wish list fulfilled!!), so I got a bunch from Ten Shin.
Cymbidiums were so tempting but had to wait for maybe next year after making some more space.

Then I picked up one more leucochilum from Marlows orchids as mine ( from him two years ago) lately had some issues.

He had one very healthy looking one and I grabbed it.
The leaves were typical, unlike mine which has unusually thick and shiny leaves.
Still happy. Can't wait for it to flower one day.
Those small bellatulum were also tempting but I have two at home.

Then, picked up Ascofinetia Cherry Blossom 'Hawaii' from New World Orchids.
From the example photo, it looks just like 'Carmela' clone.
Hopefully this will be that hot pink I was looking for.
I already have two but neither are hot pink.
First time meeting Kristen in person. She was very pleasant to deal with. :)

Then final stop was at fair orchids. I picked up one album charlesworthii and one regular form.

Skipped Piping Rock this time. Sorry, Glen.

Much nicer place than the old & dark & cold barnhouse this time.
Lots of beautiful flowers.
Loved those album venustum. I want it!!!!

Not a bad show. Donna and I went early today. Much warmer than where they held the show last year. I wasn't particularly impressed with the paphs. that Ten Shin had to sell. They had lots of complex but I didn't see labels. I asked about another paph. and was told it was a hangianum x with something. I suggested malipoense and they agreed and then said it was Memoria Larry Heuer. Couldn't have been Mem. Larry Heuer if it was made with hangianum. The one guy, is always too pushy for me. I didn't buy anything from them. Like usual, we get there early and leave before it gets crowded. Was glad that we went. Knew many of the vendors so had lots to talk about.

I bought mostly non paphs. I bought a Coelogyne Jannine Banks 'Snow White' HCC/AOS/OSNSW, Burr. Sunkissed 'Butter Cup' from Piping Rock, and my first phrag. from our fellow S.T. member Michael from Main Street Orchids and that was a Phrag Eric Young 'Rocket Fire' 4N x Phrag. kovachii in flower with 3 growths, and from Andy's a Paph vejvarutianum which was a large multigrowth plant that was previously bloomed.

Wow ! I am impressed by the quality and beauty of many plants!!! Thanks for the pics!

Can someone tell me what it this plant?
http://uploads.tapatalk-
9c9e8fe5cfefa8e389d1cbc4f92dc0be.jpg

Varvara 'Penn Valley' AM/AOS (Clari de Lune x fairrieanum)

It noted the name because I thought it was very strange.
My first thought upon looking at these flowers was fairrieanum crossed on to spotted bulldog of some sort.

Those flowers of spicerianum from Glen are amazing!!! I really wanted it. should have talked to him.

Specimen of Jewel Orchid (Ludisia discolor) in bloom.

4_zpsdetog2rn.jpeg

5_zpswhbqpw8f.jpeg

Rynchostylis gigantia red. This was very fragrant.

3_zpsexkchtcc.jpeg

2_zpsrcfnxcqa.jpeg

6_zpsnedynyr8.jpeg

1_zpsdvaxqyac.jpeg

Epi ? Butterfly Kisses 'Mendenhall' AM/AOS

epi%20butterfly%20kisses%20mendelhall%20am_zpsj2vcjvbv.jpeg

Same one that Charles posted earlier I think. I really liked this.

7_zps5r7qbybq.jpeg

Degarmoara Jay Yamada.
This looked like very dark form of Mitassia Charles M. Fitch I once had, but the plant looked nothing like it. Gigantic plant with huge multiple spikes all over.

Degarmoara%20Jay%20Yamada_zpswqa0peto.jpeg

Fdk. After Dark 'Morning After' x Ctsm. Pileatom 'Green Gold'
I wish I could have captured the color better, but my iphone camera with its limited function could only do so much with so much light coming in from the large window right behind it. This was very pretty and unique considering one parent is very dark.

FDKafterdark%20morningafter%20ctsm%20Pileatom%20green%20gold_zpste5dudmz.jpeg

Paphiopedilum Snow Bird 'Opalescence' AM/AOS

snowbird%20opalescence%20am_zpsc3eoanzd.jpeg

Dendrobium Maui Sparkle. This was very pretty but the color came out horrible. Use your imagination. :)

Maui%20Sparkle_zpspauk2eus.jpeg

There were so many more of course, but I was busy shopping and then visiting the greenhouse nearby, which had many cattleyas in bloom among others, and some very interesting succulent plants.
I might post those pictures in a separate thread since they are mostly non-orchids.
It was a great day! :)

:) nice pics all! I did think I saw Neil looking at orchids and talking to people while we were doing clerking stuff (I saw the knit hat first then thought I recognized the owner ;) )
It was a very nice show (is, still tomorrow). Lots of light and space, lots of vendors with cool stuff and some very nice plants in displays

You did?
I don't think I saw you. I would have said hello.
Or were you one of those people walking around with notes and pen?
They were right next to me, but I was taking a few pictures first trying not to buy plants. I normally go straight to the vendors. :D
then over to the vendors.

Latest posts

Back