NOID Phrag

Slippertalk Orchid Forum

Help Support Slippertalk Orchid Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
J

Jorch

This is my first phrag, given to me by an OS member. It has grassy foliage making it a beautiful plant even without flower. However, it gets brown leaf tip VERY easily. I grow all my phrags the same, in the same area, same water and fertilizer, and I don't have any problems with the other species and hybrids.

Anyone wants to venture a guess what this plant could be?

DSC_0021Small-1.jpg

Very hard to say as it looks like many phrags out there. Looking at my reference photos, I would say it ressembles most La Davyère (Phrag. Simon Marcotte x Phrag. longifolium). The petals of your phrag are longer as is the lip, but the inside of the lip looks very similar to the photo I have. Not sure it helps. Let's see what others think! :)

It does look like it has longifolium in it but aside from that I can't say what else.

I need to bring a precision to my earlier tentative ID. My reference photo is of La Davyère x lindleyanum. That would explain the differences I noted between the flowers. If I'm right, Jorch's photo would be the only existing picture known of La Davyère.

Here's a picture of Phrag. La Davyère x lindleyanum for comparison.

LaDavyerexlindleyanum.jpg

Got this pic from J.P. Faust. :)

Thanks Shiva! Here's an updated picture today, although it is a bit too bright...

DSC_0028Small-1.jpg

If it has grassy foliage, I'd look at hybrids of either pearcei or caricinum.

Phrag. La Davyère contains 25% ecuadorense and 6% caricinum and so far as I know, ecuadorense is now considered a variety of caricinum. Also, some varieties of longifolium are smaller than others. I kind of remember reading that somewhere.

La Davyère is a JP Faust cross, so we should know soon if my theory is confirmed. If not, it's been fun anyway. :)

Back