NOID Hybrid, WW2 loot returning "home"

Slippertalk Orchid Forum

Help Support Slippertalk Orchid Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
M

Marc

I recieved this plant as a gift from a German hobbyist that I know. It's a nice small hybrid that I don't have the name of. Still I'm very happy with the plant as it looks very healthy and strong and I like the small flower it has.

What makes the plant even better is the story that goes along with it. This plant is a division of a plant that was "robbed" from the Netherlands back in World War 2. The original plant was brought back to Germany by a Nazi official and handed over to another individual during the war. The person that gave me the plant recieved it from this same individual somewere after the war during / after his study. He took care of it and over the years divided it multiple times. And now one division belongs to me and I took it back "home".

IMG_3107-klein.jpg

IMG_3108-klein.jpg

IMG_3111-klein.jpg

It would be even better if I can get a proper ID for this paph but seeing that it roots trace back more then 60 years now I'm not counting on it. Any help is apreciated though.

Its a nice one, but dont know a name for it.
But great story. Fore sure it was not my grandpa he was in US after the war.

Great story and beautiful paph. Sounds like the beginning of a good adventure story involving a rare paphio stolen by nazis and brought back to Germany as a war prize after much shooting and mayhem. We need Indiana Jones back. :)

Interesting story!
I think it looks very much like P. Crossianum (venustum x insigne).

That was my first thought when I looked at the dorsal. There is a photo of Crossianum at http://www.orchidcoltura.it/fioriture2011.html which is very similar to your plant. There are also photos of a Crossianum at http://www.oscov.asn.au/photo/photo2eb.html but insigne is definitely NOT the parent of these.

I take it that with your last comment you are referring to the last link you posted?

I've found other photo's of Crossianum on the net that depict a flower that is also a 95% - 100% match with my plant.

I'm inclined to label it as Crossianum then. Going to look into my humble library this evening to see if there is a photo of this cross as well.

Thanks for the input so far. :)

Latest posts

Back