New purchases

Slippertalk Orchid Forum

Help Support Slippertalk Orchid Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

paphioboy

hehehe...
Reaction score
Penang, Malaysia..d home of fabulous paphs.
I have new babies..!! hehe.. Thanks to my dad who bought them on my behalf...:p One orchid and 2 CPs... The orchid is Maxillaria tenuifolia, which I often see in books, but never before sold in Malaysia (at least I've never seen any..). The CPs are 2 Droseras (sundews).. 1 spathulate-leaf type and one strap leaved type... :D
Boughtthis1.jpg

Boughtthis4.jpg

Boughtthis5.jpg

Carniplnt1.jpg

Carniplnt2.jpg

Carniplnt3.jpg

That's a nice tenufolia. Lots of color variation of the flowers. That is also a very good blooming for a plant that size.

Have Dad pick me up some hangianum hybrids!

There is a reason I told him not to buy any paphs even if they were available because most paphs sold are usually not in very good condition and need changing of medium after purchase... I have often seen paphs sold with suspicious brown/black markings at the leaf bases. Sometimes, the sellers even cover up the base of the plant so that any infections etc are not noticeable...

Smart. I'm curious though, are the hang, houng, eburneum, thaianum, jackii, etc available in Penang?

Eric, I think not. I've only ever seen hangianum for sale a few years back (when I didn't even know what it was.. :p).. Parvis are, on the whole, uncommon in Malaysian collections. Not many people have the more common species like delenatii, malipoense, armeniacum etc.. because they are difficult to bloom here without a cool, dry period... I was tempted to buy a Lynleigh koopowitz for sale last year, but the price tag said $75..!! I could get like 3 or 4 barbatums/niveums/concolors for the same price...

The Drosera plants are very interesting and beautiful!!!!! I am thinking of starting them from seed!!!! Maxillaria is spectacular and very healthy... Nice choices!!!!! :D:D:D

hey papioboy,
Nice looking plants. The first sundew pictured is Drosera burmanii. The second sundew with the lance shaped leaves is Drosera adalae.

Hope this helps!

That's a nice tenufolia. Lots of color variation of the flowers. That is also a very good blooming for a plant that size.

My thoughts exactly, especially in respect to the number of blooms per plant. Mine has been plugging along for years, but only the newest of the pseudobulbs are that fat--it definitely does its thing, but yours is a far better start than I can remember mine as having in dry division form! I suppose I would be all over its fragrance had I not been spoiled by an array of angraecoids, brassavolas and neos.

Latest posts

Back