Quantcast

New kovachii flasks

Slippertalk Orchid Forum

Help Support Slippertalk Orchid Forum:

gonewild

Grower
Joined
Jun 26, 2006
Messages
5,139
Reaction score
4
Location
Puerto Maldonado, Peru
I got some new Phrag. kovachii flasks today from Piping Rock. Fritz Schomburg has really learned how to grow them in the flasks and the plants are very good quality and good size. Of course the freezing weather delaying shipment gave the plants more time to grow. :clap:

Here is a picture of the plants still in the shipping box.



Here are some of the larger plants in 3 inch pots. The majority of plants are this size.



Here are some of the smaller plants.



I am quite pleased with the plants.
 

Candace

Well-Known Member
Joined
Jun 9, 2006
Messages
4,855
Reaction score
0
Location
Elk Grove, CA
What kind of leca are you using? The first photo looks like primeagra, the second maybe aliflor?? Is there a reason you used different leca or did you just use what you had on hand? They look great!
 
G

Grandma M

Guest
My kids tell their friends that their mom grows her orchids in dog food.

Grandma
 
M

Mycorrhizae

Guest
And I have the dogs gluttonous enough to try and eat it when it falls on the floor. Labs, of course - what else?
 

gonewild

Grower
Joined
Jun 26, 2006
Messages
5,139
Reaction score
4
Location
Puerto Maldonado, Peru
Candace said:
What kind of leca are you using? The first photo looks like primeagra, the second maybe aliflor?? Is there a reason you used different leca or did you just use what you had on hand? They look great!
It is all PrimeAgra.
The first photo is the old style.
The second photo is the new style in the fine grade.

I wanted to use the fine grade PrimeAgra but all that is available now is the new form, so I decided to give it trial. I prefer the old type but only have the coarse grade so I sifted out the coarse pieces and used the finer material for most of the kovachii seedlings.

The reason I put the smaller seedlings into the finer grade is because they have shorter roots and the fine grade will help keep the roots and surface moister between mistings, at least I hope so.
 
M

Mycorrhizae

Guest
The new PrimeAgra sure is getting mixed reviews. I wonder if it is performing exactly as Ray had intended when he worked with the manufacturer to modify the product.
 

gonewild

Grower
Joined
Jun 26, 2006
Messages
5,139
Reaction score
4
Location
Puerto Maldonado, Peru
Mycorrhizae said:
The new PrimeAgra sure is getting mixed reviews. I wonder if it is performing exactly as Ray had intended when he worked with the manufacturer to modify the product.
So far my opinion is it works as well as the old or I would not have risked the kovachii with it.

I don't like the smooth shape of the new form. It stays loose and the pebbles shift around when watered. This makes it a little more unstable when it comes to seedlings direct from flask. But it eventually settles in and I don't see any problems with it yet.

I know there is mention of more salts because they are visible on the surface but I think the salts are only more visible because of the contrasting darker color. I've tested the water saturate runoff and don't see any sign of excessive salt build up.
But we don't use it in the true s/h fashion either, because we water lightly several times per day, everyday.

Personally I don't think it matters which brand of Leca you use as long as you adjust your growing practices to work with the characteristics of the media.
 

bwester

Well-Known Member
Joined
Jun 7, 2006
Messages
1,238
Reaction score
0
That new crap made me take every plant i own that it didnt kill out of s/h. It is aweful, pathetic for an s/h media. I still hold to my belief that ray made the switch purely for financial gain and I dont believe for a second that he worked with the manufacturer to "improve" it.
Screw ray and his expensive crappy rocks!!!
sorry for my rant..... the loss of so many plants due to that stuff makes me real emotional.
 

gonewild

Grower
Joined
Jun 26, 2006
Messages
5,139
Reaction score
4
Location
Puerto Maldonado, Peru
bwester said:
That new crap made me take every plant i own that it didnt kill out of s/h. It is aweful, pathetic for an s/h media. I still hold to my belief that ray made the switch purely for financial gain and I dont believe for a second that he worked with the manufacturer to "improve" it.
Screw ray and his expensive crappy rocks!!!
sorry for my rant..... the loss of so many plants due to that stuff makes me real emotional.
Worth talking about. Let's start a new thread.
 

Ron-NY

Well-Known Member
Joined
Aug 21, 2006
Messages
3,649
Reaction score
0
Location
Saratoga Region, New York
NYEric said:
There shouldn't be any problem importing Lab grown kovachii the other direction right?!?
No need to, there are plenty of lab grown ones in Peru :poke: Chip in to buy me a ticket and I will go plant some :)
 

gonewild

Grower
Joined
Jun 26, 2006
Messages
5,139
Reaction score
4
Location
Puerto Maldonado, Peru
NYEric said:
There shouldn't be any problem importing Lab grown kovachii the other direction right?!?
Believe it or not Peru has very strict laws about importing plants and animals.
I would say it would be next to impossible to get the permits. A gold fish you can by in any pet shop in the USA for $5 will cost you over $50 in Lima because of the difficulty to import them.
 

gonewild

Grower
Joined
Jun 26, 2006
Messages
5,139
Reaction score
4
Location
Puerto Maldonado, Peru
Ron-NY said:
No need to, there are plenty of lab grown ones in Peru :poke: Chip in to buy me a ticket and I will go plant some :)
Getting permits to plant them in the forest would be more difficult than getting permits to remove them. How are you going to prove to INRENA and SENASA that the invitro plants are not going to harm the natural environment of the Amazon basin?
 

Ron-NY

Well-Known Member
Joined
Aug 21, 2006
Messages
3,649
Reaction score
0
Location
Saratoga Region, New York
gonewild said:
Getting permits to plant them in the forest would be more difficult than getting permits to remove them. How are you going to prove to INRENA and SENASA that the invitro plants are not going to harm the natural environment of the Amazon basin?
It looks like nature is taking its course. Once the mature plants were removed seedlings are growing to take their place. If those are left undisturbed there again will be a wild population
 

gonewild

Grower
Joined
Jun 26, 2006
Messages
5,139
Reaction score
4
Location
Puerto Maldonado, Peru
Ron-NY said:
It looks like nature is taking its course. Once the mature plants were removed seedlings are growing to take their place. If those are left undisturbed there again will be a wild population
They won't likely be left undisturbed as long as they have local value.
And local value does not necessarily have anything to do with international value.

The extinction of the specie began when the news media and government agencies made the plant seem "important" and valuable.
 
Top