New-ish orchid grower but new to ST

Slippertalk Orchid Forum

Help Support Slippertalk Orchid Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
M

mauraec

Hi everyone -

I started growing orchids in April 2011, so I'm pretty new still. I've managed to collect, and kill a couple hundred various orchids in the meantime. Slippers have always been my favorites (once I got over the boxstore phal stage), and I've had some pretty nice ones. Many of my orchids spend time boarding, since I travel a bit, but I love to have them at home with me, watching over them as if they needed it. I have two HCC/AOS awards - one for a Miltassia, the other for a vinicolor Maudiae-type. I read about orchids voraciously, use OWiz and IOSPE incessantly when I have access to them, and have currently collected another 20 various warm-weather types while I'm here in Southwest Florida (since February, until mid April). No idea how I'm getting them home, but they're coming with me somehow.

My husband, Phillip, died suddenly this past January, so my orchids are truly helping to keep my mind off grieving.

I'm looking forward to learning more about slippers from those who are far more experienced and expert than I. Right now, I'm going out to the beach to gather crushed sea shells, boil them, cool them, and add them to the medium I'm preparing for a few cats. I have to repot. Hope I don't poison them with calcium.
:wink:

Thanks to everyone for the warm welcomes! I'm looking forward to browsing through the threads and looking a some of your amazing slippers - it's a little daunting to see the wealth of material here.

Welcome, Maura. I'm so sorry for your loss -- I cannot imagine how difficult that must be. Orchids, indeed, offer comfort.

howdy from the boston area
they say you aren't an orchid expert until you kill your weight in orchids, so a couple hundred is a good start!

SW Florida and seashell collecting, means Sanibel Island to me.

Hello.
Personally thought the north end was a bit better for kicking sand around.

Wecome Maura. Orchids are a fantastic hobby. When I take care of mine, I forget about everything else. It does a lot of good to forget about all your ills and pains for a while.

Welcome from San Francisco! So sorry to hear of your unexpected loss. Orchids are a wonderful solace, I have found. My tabletop and windowsill jungles were my utter delight until I moved them all to a larger space. Now I immerse myself in the greenhouse daily.
You will have a wonderful time on this forum!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Welcome from a fellow new member from Oz.

I'm confident that the ST community will be a boon for you at this sad time by sharing a wealth of learnings; tempting you with amazing eye-candy and; when needed, just being there to support you as you strive to fill the void with beauty.

My heart goes out to you, as does my hand in friendship.

Tony

Latest posts

Back