New Here: Carnivorous Plant Nut on an Orchid Kick..

Slippertalk Orchid Forum

Help Support Slippertalk Orchid Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
E

ErrorEN

Hey everybody,

I'm new to this forum and orchids in general, having primarily been a carnivorous plant grower for the past 8 years.

Caught the bug on an impromptu trip to the grocery store after not being able to find a parking spot at school. I passed by a display a Paphs tucked behind the tulip vases and did a double take since I thought the flower looked eerily similar to the carnivorous Nepenthes.

Long story short, I stood there for a decent 10-15 minutes picking out the best looking one and googling how the heck to care for these things and then brought one home.

Pleased to meet you all!
-Eric

Welcome to ST from KY! You took that fatal step and there
will be lots more Paphs. to come. We're enablers here!

I told myself I'd only grab one.. Already making plans to go to every other grocery store in search of out-of-bloom bargain paphs. ;) Hopefully competition from the carnivore collection keeps this side hobby in check!

Welcome! So only tropical carnivores? Indoors I have orchids; outdoors I have Sarrencias (and orchids; Calapogon tuberosa makes a great companion plant)

My collection is mostly temperates. ;) Have a couple kiddie pools full of sarracenia with a few venus flytrap cultivars sprinkled in. Are you on any carnivorous plant forums? You're a new name to me.

Indoors I have a windowsill with a couple nepenthes but I'm still trying to nail it down. They only seem to do well there in the summer!

Welcome from LA down south! I think you'll find that everything you need to know is available here, as well as a treasure trove of pictures to keep you making more room for more plants...

David

Welcome from Michigan. It is interesting how many orchidists are also fond of carnivorous plants. I wonder what that means...

Thanks for the warm welcome everybody. :D I guess carnivores and orchids complement each other well. (In a beauty and the beast type of way)

Last edited by a moderator:
Hey Eric! Eric here! Welcome to the forum.

Aside from orchids, I also grow carnivorous plants; mainly VFTs and Nepenthes. I also reference them as the beauty & the beast of the plant kingdom.

My collection is mostly temperates. ;) Have a couple kiddie pools full of sarracenia with a few venus flytrap cultivars sprinkled in. Are you on any carnivorous plant forums? You're a new name to me.

I didn't know there was a carnivorous plant forum. What is it? I mostly grow pitchers as companion plants to lotus.

Last edited by a moderator:
I didn't know there was a carnivorous plant forum. What is it? I mostly grow pitchers as companion plants to lotus.

There are a few of them but the most popular are Terraforums and The Sarracenia Forum. :D I go by the same username on both.

Back