Neofinetia falcata (Shutennou x Koto) x sib

Slippertalk Orchid Forum

Help Support Slippertalk Orchid Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Gosh...:sob::sob::sob:

I just deflasked a bunch yesterday. :p

All were pretty much of the same size except for one very small one, which I almost tossed but kept it.
One plant was quite different compared to the rest of them and that's my favorite for now.
I hope they grow on well in the coming years. :)

I don't do Facebook.
Plus, I'm sure neo group might be full of people discussing tiny details or super expensive plants that I do not really care much for. So, I'll pass.

I'm happy with what I have ( two Amami Island strain, a bunch of this pink cross, two bean leaf types, and a bunch of primary hybrids).

The only thing I would add in the future is tiger leaf plant. But I would have to see one in person and like the way patches are arranged.

Other than that, my current goal is to grow out these deflasked seedlings and see the variations.

In the meantime, I am also aiming for growing what I have into specimen size that will give me tons of flowers every summer.

It's strange because I could not find any pictures of Koto. Must not be so common?

The one I saw was at a show a while ago, and it was soft pink all theoughout.
It is possible that it was mislabeled.

Are you reading neo books in Japanese?

Yes, I got 2 books in Japanese.

Thank you, Erythrone. It has intense pink. So there appears to be more than one kind of Koto. Japanese Koto has fukurin, and straight tsuke like this:

http://fuukiran.seesaa.net/article/4899170.html

Yes, I got 2 books in Japanese.

Thank you, Erythrone. It has intense pink. So there appears to be more than one kind of Koto. Japanese Koto has fukurin, and straight tsuke like this:

http://fuukiran.seesaa.net/article/4899170.html

Right! I remember having read there are 2 kinds of Koto... !!! One is an hybrid of course (the colorful one on this thread). Confusion...

Pretty pot! Yeah, it is confusing enough to follow all the Neo names in kanji, and once you start romanizing them it gets positively messy. What's more, people can name anything whatever they want, so you end up with a VERY confusing situation. That is the norm here in Japan for many collectable plants. Only the experts really know what is what, and even they will be confused by some plants because they "came out of nowhere".

I like these deep purple hybrids, but to be honest I'd never spend big bucks on them. Besides, the overpricing of Neos is an artifact of Japanese culture, and I suspect likely to change in the future. Of course the economic situation here is pushing that point even more, and combined with a ton of Korean produced seedlings flooding the market, prices will continue to drop (IMO).

Neos are the best plants! It's nice to see others who are having success with these. :)

Last edited:
Some notes on my neos..

To my great disappointment, the smallest seedling dried up and died a few days after being out of flask.
Maybe I should have left the agar on.
I have great results with agar on method. Oh, well...
At least all others are doing well so far, but I thought this super tiny seedling might be one of those variant among the crops.

My largest clump of neo (white flowering type) is finally settling in its new pot sending roots down the bark chips. It was not happy in its new pot and mix for the first few months of repotting with no new roots and only one spike in June. I am hopeful that this plant will give me lots of flowers next summer.

Bean leaf varieties and these pink ones are doing well sending up new leaves and more babies. Yay!!!

The koto used in this cross is indeed a hybrid. I have a plant of it that came from Japan. The label had "Ascf. Koto" written on the tag in english along with Japanese words. When I was at the Tokyo Dome show this Feb, I bought about 10 clones of Koto. Unfortunately all were destroyed by US Ag dept as there was some "fungus" on them. My suspicion is that there is Asctm. ampullaceum in the background of this plant.

I have bloomed about 15 plants of this cross. About 40% are white or pale pink, about 30% a light pink, 20% are a medium pink, and 10% are a very dark pink. They tend to have very long pedicels and the flowers are on the small side.

I have to disagree about the length of pedicles. All of this cross I have seen so far had short spikes like "regular" neos.

The intense color does pose for possibility of having something other than neo in this cross, but I am not really sure. Who knows! There are so many muddy/shady areas in the world of orchid breeding/trading.

By the way, sorry to hear about your loss.
How in the world did they find there was some fungus on your plant??
To me, that sounds ridiculous because tons of foreign fruits and veggies ( not to mention houseplants) are shipped into USA on a daily basis with so many bacteria, fungus, virus, insects and mites. There are never stopped. lol
Big money, I guess.

Latest posts

Back