Neofinetia falcata (Shutennou x Koto) x sib

Slippertalk Orchid Forum

Help Support Slippertalk Orchid Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Happypaphy7

Paphlover
Reaction score
Finally my second plant of this cross is in bloom.
This one turns out much darker than its sibling, and I'm loving the color!
The flowers are also slightly larger, but not so shapely.
Another difference I noticed is that first three flowers opened up at the same time and then the rest on this plant while the other plant opened up its flowers one at a time with a day interval between.

neo1_zpso4eps3uq.jpg

Flowers on the sibling plant for color comparison.

pinneo_zps3preizam.jpg

Koto is pink all the way.
Shutennou is white with pink spur and very dark pink peduncle.

It is very nice and deep color. Are you sure about the color of Koto's flower? I don't know much about Neo yet, but reading about them a little recently. Koto (古都), which means "old capital city", is derived from Higashidemiyako (it became smaller and Tsuke changed). So I thought that it should have white flower, right? Is there another 'Koto'?

Nice colour on these. Did you make the cross yourself ?
When you say that you want one like Shutennou do you mean that you have more of these and you're hoping this cross yields some more like the Shutennou parent ?

Gorgeous color on both plants. Typical Neo. fragrance???

I'm with Erythrone...too much beautiful and I can't bloom
them to save my life! Neoenvy.

Perhaps you tried an expensive picky one??
Neos are very hardy plants that are easy to grow and flower without the need of something special to accomodate them.

The most common issues I see people "commit" are underwatering and not enough light. I took a look at some neos whose owner complained how they do not grow much at all, well, it turns out they were so dry.
No wonder they did not grow much. lol

Also, I believe cold winter really helps in flowering them and overall health for the long term. I cannot give my neos ideal winter ( my winter does not go much below 65). So far so good, but I had much better results when I grew them as a kid with cold winter.

Yes, these all smell wonderful!!!

It is very nice and deep color. Are you sure about the color of Koto's flower? I don't know much about Neo yet, but reading about them a little recently. Koto (古都), which means "old capital city", is derived from Higashidemiyako (it became smaller and Tsuke changed). So I thought that it should have white flower, right? Is there another 'Koto'?

It's strange because I could not find any pictures of Koto. Must not be so common?

The one I saw was at a show a while ago, and it was soft pink all theoughout.
It is possible that it was mislabeled.

Are you reading neo books in Japanese?

Nice colour on these. Did you make the cross yourself ?
When you say that you want one like Shutennou do you mean that you have more of these and you're hoping this cross yields some more like the Shutennou parent ?

No, I did not make the cross.

I have quite a few of these, but they are much smaller at the moment.
I could easily buy Shutennou as they are readily available at great price, but Shutennou tends to be a bit large for my taste.
This cross tends to be on the smaller side, so I'm hoping Shutennou flowers on the smaller plant.
I still have a chance, I guess, since I'm nursing quite a few.
Wish me luck! :)

I'll of course post pictures a couple of years down the road.

My problem with Neos. was not enough bright light in winter
and temps. in the greenhouse too warm. I could grow
them rather well, but without that winter cool down, they
pouted and refused to bloom for me. Dot has them now and they're much happier.

Sorry you had a problem with growing and flowering Neos! But you certainly have a generous heart by re-homing them to someone like Dot! She has a great ability to grow orchids!

Happypahy7: did you google "Neofinetia Koto"? You should find a few pics of true Koto amids many untrue ones...

I saw some pics of Koto on FB. Peter T. Lin (Diamond Orchids) showed some... one of my friends bought one in Hawai too. and no... bit it is not a common plant! Maybe you could join the International Neofinetia group on FB?? There are some European growers who grow it too (saw pictures on Cattlaelia forum -France).

Too warm? But you are in Kentucky!
How much do you heat up your greenhouse in the winter and for what kind of plants??

Back