Neofinetia falcata plant photos and any culture tips?

Slippertalk Orchid Forum

Help Support Slippertalk Orchid Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

smartie2000

Reaction score
I've had this Neofinetia falcata for several years, but it hasn't been performing. How do I get it to bloom? Also how often should I be watering or fertilizing for best growth?

I just changed the moss. The plant is actually stuck inside the ceramic pot now, and lots roots grasp around in there.
DSCN1942.jpg

And next to my small Neofinetia falcata 'Shutennou' (朱天王). I might change it into a nicer pot soon.
DSCN1948.jpg

Is this a sign of spike? Its been like this since last fall.
DSCN1951.jpg

The big plant should have already bloomed!!! I have no idea why it doesn't!!! More light??? Others will help!!! But both plants are great!!!

I *think* that should be a spike. Most of my neofinetias put out little nubbings like that in the fall and bloom in spring/summer and basal keikeis usually form during summer. But that's only my observations.. Good luck with yours :)

I have a feeling that I have been underwatering. I just read that they should not be allowed to dry out. Mine get water around 5-7days and the moss gets crispy...more water? It might explain why my Shutennou hasn't grown a lot compared to the other one. I think I need to put Shutennou into a pot with less holes then...time to boil one of my other mini ceramic pots to sanitize it

I only water mine once every month during winter. I don't let them dry out in the summer, but once past Remembrance Day, I just ignore them until Easter..

That's definitely a flower stalk. From the looks of it your plants are very healthy.

In winter mine stay outside where they are subjected to temperatures between -2 C and 15 C. They are under a porch that gets lots of sun midday and also protects them from rain, snow, and frost. I water once a week or so. Once root growth starts in April I water them a lot more and by mid summer they need water everyday. Of course during this growth period they are fertilized regularly. In summer they are in very bright shade, no sun at all. Temperatures range between 25 C and 35 C.

In this cultural setting they are budded by mid fall, stay dormant through March, commence growth in April starting with new roots, and flower mostly in July. So, the trick is to keep them warm, fed, and watered in the warm months, and cool and dry in winter (keep humidity high at all times though!).

i usually keep mines quite well watered year round, but the heat just dries them off faster in the winter. my nubbings come in Nov and flowers in June. i wish i could get some more keikis xp

but yours definitely looks itz ready to put on a show. if anything, more light. wintertime, i use to almost give them full sun until under lights now.

Awesome :) I will finally see blooms then. Thanks for your help everyone. I had no idea they can we neglected much more during the winter. and I didn't know spikes start in the fall and then bloom in the summer too. I've gotta give them more attention during the summer.

I will place them touching the cold window during the winter from now on. Western window so it should be plenty of light. I think I might have to water more than once a month though since it gets dry here.

Update!

Hurray it's in bloom! An the scent us wonderful at night! These are the neatest mini-orchids. And it has grown very fast this spring/summer, sending many roots and new growths :)
DSCN3477.jpg

DSCN3473.jpg

Stunning! Well done!
Seeing your spike photo has helped me alot I have 2 of those on my plant so I guess I have 6/7 months wait to see blooms.

Wow! not just one spike ,but at least 3?!
Your patience has paid off. I grow many of these beauties too. Like others said, they are kept on the dry side during the winter and subjected to fairly cool temperatures.
Cheers!
Pete

year 2010 blooming

I think that my plant has finally picked up. :) It makes the room sweetly fragrant at night. I didn't expect 3 spikes when I looked at the plant this fall and spring to find those stubs.

There are lots of roots, I think my plant needs a repotting, because I cannot keep it in that tiny container anymore, I keep bending the soft new roots back into the pot. I am going to have trouble fitting anymore. I now believe that roots are most important on Neofinetia for blooming, just like other orchids. Now it has very strong roots.

Maybe I will find a new suitable pot in Vancouver, I am headed down there in a few days! So I post the photos now and I hope the blooms will still be there when I come back.

4800737189_b685e29ba6_b.jpg

4801371066_215fe6d778_b.jpg

Latest posts

Back