Need ID

Slippertalk Orchid Forum

Help Support Slippertalk Orchid Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
It IS a News species! If You want, I can describe it for you. But you have to make a herbarium specimen and deposit it in an Indonesian herbarium. It would be illegal to be import it into the EU!

It IS a News species! If You want, I can describe it for you. But you have to make a herbarium specimen and deposit it in an Indonesian herbarium. It would be illegal to be import it into the EU!
yes I understand. I am waiting for the registration process for other types of paphiopedilum. You can see my post on the taxonom forum. and by the way can you help me register the types of bulbophylum?

I'm no taxonomist, but the staminode in the second photo is completely different to lunatum. Spotting on petals probably varies. I expect the epithet lunatum refers to the staminode shape. The poster above will have to take closeup photos of a dissected flower, side and front views of staminode, petals, synsepal, dorsal sepal, leaf including leaf tip, with a bar to show size scale.

I'm no taxonomist, but the staminode in the second photo is completely different to lunatum. Spotting on petals probably varies. I expect the epithet lunatum refers to the staminode shape. The poster above will have to take closeup photos of a dissected flower, side and front views of staminode, petals, synsepal, dorsal sepal, leaf including leaf tip, with a bar to show size scale.
yeah I think so too. Moreover, Paph Lunatum is on a different island and is more than 3000km away

yes I understand. I am waiting for the registration process for other types of paphiopedilum. You can see my post on the taxonom forum. and by the way can you help me register the types of bulbophylum?
Registration is for Hybrids!!!. New species must be described in a journal dediced to botany and a dried plant (= Holotype) must be deposited in an international accepted herbarium.
The process is the same for all types of plants, also for Paphiopedilum and Bulbophyllum. By the way, I am not an expert on Bulbophyllums....

Registration is for Hybrids!!!. New species must be described in a journal dediced to botany and a dried plant (= Holotype) must be deposited in an international accepted herbarium.
The process is the same for all types of plants, also for Paphiopedilum and Bulbophyllum. By the way, I am not an expert on Bulbophyllums....
Oh i see. Thank for information..

The herbarium will be Herbarium Bogoriense in Jakarta. If you can photograph the flower and plant parts, and press and dry the parts, it is probable that they have a taxonomist who can definitively determine that you have a new species, and write and publish the description. Their telephone is +62218765066

It used to be sold as 'mohrianum' in the 90's. The leaves are a bit reminiscent of volonteanum in their texture and appearance.

The actual described mohrianum are a kind of hybridogen whatever population including mastersianum.

In my opinion it is one of those countless variations of bullenianum that were available a long time ago. Many had strange names, celebense, ceramense, tortipetalum, johorense, robinsonii, etc.. Staminode is not a reliable feature for some paphs, including the bullenianum/volonteanum/hookerae/appletonianum group. In each population there is a massive variation even in plant and flower size as well.

Of this group, there were bullenianum red leaf/Sabah, johorense and those 'tradename mohrianum' that had harder/hard leaves. But this one is clearly from the bullenianum group. Bullenianum was not an important species, like tonsum, and no one wanted to buy these back then. It has a tremendous variability as well.

The herbarium will be Herbarium Bogoriense in Jakarta. If you can photograph the flower and plant parts, and press and dry the parts, it is probable that they have a taxonomist who can definitively determine that you have a new species, and write and publish the description. Their telephone is +62218765066

It used to be sold as 'mohrianum' in the 90's. The leaves are a bit reminiscent of volonteanum in their texture and appearance.

The actual described mohrianum are a kind of hybridogen whatever population including mastersianum.

In my opinion it is one of those countless variations of bullenianum that were available a long time ago. Many had strange names, celebense, ceramense, tortipetalum, johorense, robinsonii, etc.. Staminode is not a reliable feature for some paphs, including the bullenianum/volonteanum/hookerae/appletonianum group. In each population there is a massive variation even in plant and flower size as well.

Of this group, there were bullenianum red leaf/Sabah, johorense and those 'tradename mohrianum' that had harder/hard leaves. But this one is clearly from the bullenianum group. Bullenianum was not an important species, like tonsum, and no one wanted to buy these back then. It has a tremendous variability as well.
What I see from Paph Mohrianum is different. but maybe it's true that this could be part of bullenianum because on one island there are three different types including bullenianum

Attachments

• IMG-20240322-WA0013.jpg
    IMG-20240322-WA0013.jpg
    206.1 KB · Views: 0
  • IMG-20240322-WA0007.jpg
    IMG-20240322-WA0007.jpg
    143.4 KB · Views: 1
  • IMG-20240322-WA0008.jpg
    IMG-20240322-WA0008.jpg
    282 KB · Views: 1
  • IMG-20240126-WA0020.jpg
    IMG-20240126-WA0020.jpg
    69.3 KB · Views: 1
  • IMG-20240126-WA0011.jpg
    IMG-20240126-WA0011.jpg
    82.7 KB · Views: 1
  • IMG-20240113-WA0018.jpg
    IMG-20240113-WA0018.jpg
    173.9 KB · Views: 0

This sounds more realisticly than it to be a new species .....

If you split up liemianum, victoria mariae, v-reginae, moquetteanum and so on, why not the same for other groups? Some of the appletianum group are really easy to recognice - if you get the real plant with the right name.....

I see that mohrianum is now a variety of mastersianum. Curious. As to cochlopetalums, yeah I've been interested to see how closely related entities may enjoy species status and others that are as close do not; and some whose relationship seems distant are conspecific. One factor is amount of detail in original description. If it's broad, it includes lots of different things (on genus level, think Dendrobium); if narrow, there's a lot of splitting (Cochlopetalums). Then there's the more traditional geographically distinct and now DNA to be factored in.

Latest posts

Back