Quantcast

NCOS (Washington DC) orchid show photos

Slippertalk Orchid Forum

Help Support Slippertalk Orchid Forum:

M

MoreWater

The show and sale is this weekend at the National Arboretum, and I took a few photos. I really, really hate the lighting in this room - I was there last month as well and I'm sick of it. Anyway.... photos are here and I hope I got the exhibits matched up with the correct exhibitors. I realized too late that I wasn't keeping track very well.

Heather

Administrator
Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Sacramento, CA. Outside w/ Southeast Exposure
Ahhh.... looks as though Marriot was in attendance!
I will have to go through again out of slideshow mode so as to see the titles. What was that long-petaled Paph - do you recall?

Thank you, Ki. National Capitol always seems to have a lot of nice displays.
Oh - was that Orchilla Ed Merkle's by any chance? He's been posting it around and about this week.

M

MoreWater

Hi Heather -
don't know about the Orchilla - it was in the display by the entrance and I don't know who put that one together.

which longpetaled paph? There were quite a few in the displays, I think.....

- - -

A tip for flickr slideshows. In the slide show, clicking on a photo will temporarily pause it and pull up the title of the picture. (Often, the grex)

It also gives you a link to open the picture in a new window. If you do that, you'll be able to see (1) any additional description I may have added under the picture (2) any "notes" I may have placed on top of the picture , and (3) any tags I attached to the pic.

B

bench72

Beautiful show! Thank you for taking us along...

The Paph Predacious is wonderful!!!

M

MoreWater

oh that one. And I just noticed that I wrote that it's (adductum x adductum) underneath.... just corrected it. I wish more tags had real parentage info on them.

Marco

Slipperless member
Reaction score
great photos. :) I love the predacious. howd you do the pop up bit on each photo like the one for the Floradise Orchids' Display photo??

M

MoreWater

it's a feature in flickr - "add a note" :)
I like it a lot and it's one of the reasons I use them for my photos.

silence882

Lurker
ST Supporter
Reaction score
It was an excellent show this year!

And I totally agree that the lighting in that room sucks. At least they had a few lamps set up this weekend. At the paph forum last February I could hardly take pics since my point-and-shoot digital couldn't even focus in the dim light.

I only saw one multifloral paph on display, the Predacious that Ki posted a pic of. I think the multiflorals tend to bloom February to June (?) in the northern hemisphere.

There was a not-often-seen callosum albino in a display, but I forget whose:

Marriott had a great display of about 20 paphs. I ended up buying a villosum 'Marriott Color Sunburst' x 'Candor XL' and an Elfstone x White Legacy (in-spike). I was very proud of the restraint I showed in just getting the two plants. They had a concolor with no purple in the leaves and great form in their display:

--Stephen

M

MoreWater

Every year I walk out of the paph forum swearing to get a DSLR. And then I spend the $ on orchids instead...

Here's a totally useless shot of Marriott's display. John said he took more photos of them so maybe he'll be able to post.

And here's a ridiculously blurry shot of the right side of Woodstream's display.

M

MoreWater

Heather said:
Oh - was that Orchilla Ed Merkle's by any chance? He's been posting it around and about this week.
I think no, although this is just a guess. Ed posted somewhere that he bought his from Merritt Huntington who used to have an orchid nursery in the DC area. I would guess the one at the show was another division belonging to someone else more local.

G

gore42

Great Photos, thanks!

That Paph charlesworthii is so big and round that it almost looks like a hybrid rather than the species.

- Matt

Carol

Reaction score
Dc Show

I love when everyone posts photos of shows that they have visited. I am in the market for a DSLR camera and would appreciate any advice.

Latest posts