Natural hybrid of P.micranthum

Slippertalk Orchid Forum

Help Support Slippertalk Orchid Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

cxcanh

Reaction score
A very nice form and color

1CXC_5680.jpg

As I observed in theirs habitat I just saw P.micranthum grow in the same area with P.malipoense and hangianum not emersonii

It doesn't look like x fanaticum to me. If its not x glanzii: the artificial cross with hangianum (Paph. Liberty Taiwan) looks similar, too. I'm not aware of a name for the natural hybrid, though.

It's beautiful! But, it does not look like Liberty Taiwan or Fanaticum to me. It does look like emersonii is in there. Look at the spots inside the pouch and the shape of the staminode. Very emersonii-like. 'Would LOVE to know what this really is.

Last edited:
The spots are pretty suggestive to me. Of the known parvi species I'm aware of, the most obvious sources for those spots is malipoense or emersonii. If emersonii can be ruled out 100%, then I can only assume they come from malipoense. The staminode doesn't really suggest malipoense parentage, though.

Keep in mind that, while the odds are probably infinitesimal, when you have 2 species in the same habitat and which bloom at approximately the same time (and which are known to naturally hybridize), if the offspring are fertile and conditions are just right, there's potential for near-primary natural hybrids to result.

We know that Fanaticum is a natural hybrid, perhaps one of the micranthums naturally hybridzed with a Fanaticum. That'd be enough to wash out the mali staminode while still possibly explaining the pouch spotting.

All that considered, I will say that it looks very much like a P. Lola Bird to me.

Nope, no malipoense in there.
It is glanzii, a natural version of Lola Bird, which is micranthum x emersonii.

It is a good one, too! :)

Canh, was this found in nature that you can say it is a natural hybrid or??
If yes, are these found as a population or some random plants here and there?

the furry petals suggest hangianum in there.

You can't go by that as hairs are features of other flowers as well.
Emersonii, though lesser degree than hangianum, as well as other parvis all have hairs on the petals.

Also, I have malipoense, Magic Lantern, Wossner China Moon (hang primary) all hairs, but guess which one of these is the hairiest?
Magic Lantern!

Lola Bird can look very similar to Liberty Taiwan depending on the clones, but the staminode on this particular one is very typical of Lola Bird or emerosnii hybrid.

Latest posts

Back