Native Orchids

Slippertalk Orchid Forum

Help Support Slippertalk Orchid Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Your local nursery or hydro store should carry Alaskan Humus or potting soils(FoxFarms) that have beneficials in them. Humus is your best soil option.

I would not dig up any soil in the concrete jungle..... Who know what you'll come home with...:poke:

As Leo pointed out... Fungiperfecti is the best on the market right now. Make sure you get the soluble form.... Plant success has a granular form that good if you just what the fungi. Dry spores are not cheap but your best bet is to combine both to see the best results.

You can also feed the soil with a tea catalyst A.K.A molasses. This will feed the beneficials in the soil so they can continue to reproduce.

Also I will add.... Make sure you use some form of dechlorinated water.

I'm guessing that there cold to cool germinating seeds?

Cool, in my opinion, more people need to attempt to domesticate the Platanthera. There are some really pretty species in this genera, and most come from fairly similar habitats. Figure out how to grow one species, and you will likely be able to do several different species. I would love to grow P. psychodes or P. leucophaea, or P. praecox, but especially for the last two, getting seed is an issue, they are rare near here and I only know them from protected sites.

Let us know how it works out.

Latest posts

Back