My Pleione trail for 2012

Slippertalk Orchid Forum

Help Support Slippertalk Orchid Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Well my order from Albiflora is delayed because of the freezing tempartures but for some reason :p my Pleione collection is allready growing. This is how it looks currently:

IMG_1532.jpg

The small ceramic pot in the front holds a different clone of formosana, not quite sure yet if they will stay in the pot or I'll repot them in a somewhat bigger and deeper plastic pot.

Two pots with big and medium sized pseudobulbs, these were labelled as Pleione white, I expect them to be a white form of formosana.

IMG_1535.jpg

IMG_1534.jpg

Bulbils + small bulbs of both the previous shown white form and some coloured form that I found in the same pot, due to the color difference of the bulbs it's easy to keep them apart so I have no problem with putting them in the same pot.

IMG_1533.jpg

New growth! How exciting! I look forward to your continued updates. :clap:

Thanks all.

Today I was contacted by Albiflora to ask if it was ok to have the order shipped. I checked the weather sites and send a mail back confirming that it's ok to ship the plants.

So expect an update by the end of the week!

Yeeeha my goodies from Albiflora arived, unfortunately no big fat bulbs with more then one new growth but that's no surprise as they will probably be used for vegetative reproduction.

The bulbs themselves were wrapped with lightly moist spagnum moss and then wrapped with kitchen foil. Each package was clearly labelled with it's contents.

IMG_1552klein.jpg

Front left: limprichtii
Front right: pleionoides incl. 2 bulbils that I didn't pay for. Weeee free gifts!!!
Center: formosana Alba Clara
Back left: voltolinii
Back right: speciosa Red Leaf

I have difficulty with Pleiones . I took this pic at our local show which was entered by a very old lady. She said that she keeps them in rockwool and uses a toothpick to test if they need watering and keeps them cool. I'm sure you will agree that these are fantastic.

Ed

I have difficulty with Pleiones . I took this pic at our local show which was entered by a very old lady. She said that she keeps them in rockwool and uses a toothpick to test if they need watering and keeps them cool. I'm sure you will agree that these are fantastic.

Ed

Very well grown...

For my pleione, I used to grow some thousands of many species, as it was a popular good market a couple years ago.

The main point, never do anything that can kill the roots, or it is a mess to restart the plants.

Second, there are limestone loving species, and acid loving species. The former perform better in bark and coir with lime, latter in bark and sphagnum. I usually liquid feed them like all the orchids here, but they get nutricote 13-13-13 when the new leaves are about 3-5 cm. Roughly 20-30 granules for a 12 cm pot. This way it is possible to get 2 mature bulbs at least from one big one. If they are not fed properly, they dig up the reserves in the old bulb mostly, and the new bulbs are too small.

The bulbs that are green can be potted leaving the top 1/3 out roughly. The bulbs that are pink, or whitish must be buried close to the top. In fact some pleione species grow quite deep in the ground, unlike the legend. The only reason many growers advise never to pot them too deep is when you water too early in the season. If the bulb is too deep, the leaf starts at the junction of the potting mix, and it can rot because of the water. If you let them quite dry until the leaf emerges a bit, you are safe and fine.

I would not mind having the variety as displayed in the photo. I only have formosana. It is quite difficult to get more plants in South Africa.

What I do is once the leaves are dry I remove the leaves, take the bulbs out of the growing medium (coconut chips), clean the bulbs a bit and put in a dry container into the fridge for the winter. They will come out of there towards the end of spring and put back in the medium in a shallow pot/container. Water at this stage is sparingly. Once they start growing and making flowers they get the same treatment as all my other plants(Paphs).

I started a few years ago with about 5/7 bulbs and I think there are at least 30 - 40 now. I have even been able to keep the small bulbs to survive.

At present I am waiting for the leaves to die off so that they may go for their winter sleep!

If there is someone around who could tell me how to obtain a few more I would appreciate it.

Here's the Pleione aurita bulb I picked up at the Bad Salzuflen event this weekend.

IMG_1644.jpg

My Pleione's seem to respond very well to the coming of spring.

Pleione formosana
IMG_1642.jpg

Pleione voltolinii
IMG_1643.jpg

Oooh sweet! ^ :drool:

Great advice from both Roth and Faan above. :clap:

Latest posts

Back