My Newest Pet

Slippertalk Orchid Forum

Help Support Slippertalk Orchid Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
The only angels I know of being captive bred on any large scale are the dwarf ones. You can even get hybrid dwarf angels now a days. I think they need to start doing captive breeding programs for Japanese Dwarf Angels...those things still go for over a grand a piece(as does just about everything marine from Japan). The rule of thumb is if it says "Non-Indo" and costs as much as a car, it's from Japan.

Advances in foods for the reef tank have definitely come a long way from my first saltwater tank when I was little. I now stock for my own little tank: frozen oyster eggs, frozen amphipods, frozen copepods, frozen mysis shrimp, live phytoplankton including rotifers, live copepods/amphipods/mysis shrimp/brine shrimp(baby and adult), decapsulated brine shrimp eggs, and a heavy spirulina formula called Zoe as a source of amino acids.

At first I thought the Mandarin goby was a clumsy and blind little fish. But after a few hours of watching him after releasing a batch of live mysis shrimp into the tank I realized there was a method to his madness. Unlike the "snatch and run" method of catching food the Gramma uses, the Mandarin stalks his prey like a house cat. At times he even seems to be toying with them as they struggle in the current. He is a quick learner, and like all the inhabitants, recognizes the long clear straw that enters his tank dispenses food. He also flutters around the front glass staring me down when I enter the room until I make with the straw. He shows no interest in frozen foods if I just dump them in, but if it comes out of the straw he pecks at the straw until something comes out.

Jon
________
Toyota Sequoia

Last edited:

Latest posts

Back