My japonicum!

Slippertalk Orchid Forum

Help Support Slippertalk Orchid Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
L

luis

Hi this is my first cyp of the year... my cyp japonicum. :)

Attachments

• japonicum1.JPG
    japonicum1.JPG
    51.5 KB · Views: 60
  • japonicum2.JPG
    japonicum2.JPG
    49.7 KB · Views: 53
  • japonicum3.JPG
    japonicum3.JPG
    39.1 KB · Views: 56
Beautiful plant! Are you sure it's a japonicum? The white tepals make it look more like formosanum. The shape of the flower, though, seems to resemble japonicum more. Perhaps a hybrid between the two?

Hi, Luis,

Looks nice!

I believe you have a Cyp formosanum rather than japonicum. Japonicum has a pouch with a "folded lip" whereas formosanum has a "round" lip like your flower.

Thanks for the photos.

Ron

I had to get home to refer to my Orchid Magazine and make sure I was correct that this is more a formosanum than japonicum.

According to Holger Perner and Bunzo Hayata, Cyp formosanum leaves are not fully expanded by the time it is in bloom, and your leaves are definitely not fully epanded. The leaves in formosanum are also narrower than japonicum (japonicum nearly forms a full circle with its two leaves). The pouch and petals are broader in formosanum. As well smaller forms are found growing in higher altitudes in Taiwan, and your plant seems very small. And the floral stems of formosanum are glabrous (or nearly hairless), while japonicum has hairy stems. I can't tell form your picture how hairy the stem is. And lastly the colours are a little different in the two species.

There are no intermediate populations found...

I think Cyp. formosanum would bloom earlier than japonicum.

This bloom is shaped better than any in the article! (but maybe the photo isnt:p) The dorsal is held up high. take good care of it.

Thank you to all!

Thank you very much to all. First i'm from Portugal, Batalha (near Fátima). I bought as japonicum, but i'm happy for it and happy for you like it so much:).

The pouch and petals are broader in formosanum. And lastly the colours are a little different in the two species.

The pouch on this plant definitely looks more like formosanum. The petal shape was the only thing that I wondered about - formosanum petals are broader, and usually aren't held out wide like in this plant. But japonicum tepals are green, and these are white (like formosanum).

There are no intermediate populations found...

There wouldn't be, since (at least according to Cribb, 1997) their ranges don't overlap. I just wondered if maybe someone accidently cross-pollinated a japonicum and formosanum at some point. In cultivation it could be possible to have them blooming at the same time. But, I'm pretty sure this is just a straight formosanum.

As others have said, you've got C. formosanum there, and a very nice one at that. Comparison of the two - C. formosanum on the left, C. japonicum on the right.

Formosanum-Japonicum.jpg

Notice the plant pictured doesn't have the nice, full sepals and petals of your flower. BTW, growing these in Portugal will be a bit of a challenge, but not impossible. The trick is to keep them humid, out of the sun, and moist at all times.

thank you Tom!

Thank you very very much Tom! Your advic:wink:e is very usefull to me.

As others have said, you've got C. formosanum there, and a very nice one at that. Comparison of the two - C. formosanum on the left, C. japonicum on the right.

Formosanum-Japonicum.jpg

Notice the plant pictured doesn't have the nice, full sepals and petals of your flower. BTW, growing these in Portugal will be a bit of a challenge, but not impossible. The trick is to keep them humid, out of the sun, and moist at all times.

Really nice photo. :clap:

Maby an hibrid?

Formosanum-Japonicum.jpg

Seeing your photo and comparing it with my flower it seems to me (i'm not an expert) more japonicum, or an hibrid between the two... the upper part is more japonicum and the labelum more formosanum... maby ;)

i like it the same way!

Very unlikely Luis for any number of reasons. That is a full blood C. formosanum you've got, it just has a pretty shape, but is well within the bounds of a normal flower.

Ok i surrend my self... i like it the same way :D. Kyushu let's talk about ch cymb too...

Latest posts

Back