My First Tetraploid Phrag Cross

Slippertalk Orchid Forum

Help Support Slippertalk Orchid Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

parvi_17

Reaction score
This is Phrag. Eric Young 'Rocket Fire' 4N x Rosy Charm 4N. I am always so amazed by the tetraploid crosses that people post photos of on this forum, so I couldn't resist this one yesterday. It likely has the nicest form and color of any pink Phrag I own.

Thanks for looking!

Joe

Pretty! those petals look very thick!
the phrag sales table was empty when I got there but its ok, I should be satisfied with the phrags coming this week from Faust

Pretty! those petals look very thick!
the phrag sales table was empty when I got there but its ok, I should be satisfied with the phrags coming this week from Faust

Chuck only brought two Phrags I think, and a Mex in spike (which I was tempted to buy even though I already have one!). The other one was some sort of Jason Fischer type cross, and it was HUGE, and I would have bought it too but someone snapped it up before I could even say anything (and this was at 12:30!). I hate it when people buy plants before 1:00!

Who is Faust? Do they have nice plants?

Joe

Good buy, Joe. That flower looks like it means business! Where'd you get a list for Faust? I keep checking their website; but, all I can ever get is a notice that it's under construction.

...I contacted him by email to get his newest list:) He's a very nice Phrag grower and hybridizer in Quebec, and appears to take excellent care of his plants. He has some very unique crosses too

I have Faust's list that was emailed to me; if you want info PM me. There are a number of crosses that [he?] developed listed on Phragweb. Nice acquisition. I don't know Mr. Taylor but IMO the saw-tooth petals are a sign of Acker's breeding. The tetra-ploidy adds such nice round shape and thickness to the flowers that it offsets the long wait to bloom. Yay besseae hybrids!

Thanks to everyone for all the great comments! Dot, it is really a red flower; but I call all the besseae/schlimii type (sequential blooming) Phrags "pink".

Joe

Back