My first Australian paph..

Slippertalk Orchid Forum

Help Support Slippertalk Orchid Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

paphioboy

hehehe...
Reaction score
Penang, Malaysia..d home of fabulous paphs.
Finally!! I bought this Paph Lovesong (acmodontum x sukhakulii) yesterday at my society Autumn show.. Now growing on my windowsill during the day, where it gets rather low light, and under lights at night until I go to bed.. Hope I don't rot the roots off this one as I'm not used to growing in bark, and aussie growers are fond of using very deep pots.. Have to restrain myself from watering more than once a week.. :p Anyway, here's the plant:
1 previously flowered growth and 1 nearly mature growth..
Mylatestacquisition.jpg

The pot is nearly 3X the width..!!
Mylatestacquisition1.jpg

Oh, I meant its my first paph in Adelaide now.. First orchid for that matter.. :p bought it from Nicky Zurcher of Nicky's Slippers. You can check his website, but its outdated.. He does some interesting breeding with tetraploid Maudiaes..

Ah ok, I have to say that Nicky Zurcher is a wonderful grower. Although when you go there, there seem to be many plants he won't sell.

Very knowledgable grower though so you bought from the right place.

I find Nicky's plants grow really well and form large clumps readily. The downside is I really struggle to flower his plants for some reason. I have a few (eg Iantha Stage) that are just putting out more and more growths but I have never flowered them.

Normally it is the other way round for me. That is, I flower them easily but struggle to grow them into large clumps.

David

Ah ok, I have to say that Nicky Zurcher is a wonderful grower. Although when you go there, there seem to be many plants he won't sell.

Very knowledgable grower though so you bought from the right place.

Oh, okay.. its interesting that he had a lot of one-off plants at his booth at the show.. I was deciding between this one and (tonsum x superbiens), (Lovesong x Maudiae 4N).. Our society is planning a bus trip to his place in August.. Oh, the temptation... :p

I find Nicky's plants grow really well and form large clumps readily. The downside is I really struggle to flower his plants for some reason. I have a few (eg Iantha Stage) that are just putting out more and more growths but I have never flowered them.

Normally it is the other way round for me. That is, I flower them easily but struggle to grow them into large clumps.

David, I have to agree his plants are of a good size with multiple growths. Maybe he grows under less light..? The foliage of his Maudiae types are absolutely fantastic and the spikes are quite tall..

Back