Must have slippers?

Slippertalk Orchid Forum

Help Support Slippertalk Orchid Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Eric, I like your list,
My list
Paph Maudiae 'Magnificum' or "The Queen", or 'Bankhaus', but only one of these, or substitute a Paph Claire de Lune 'Edgar van Bell' - all three are green and white, old classics, sometimes can be found very inexpensive, but when you want one now can still be expensive (especially 'the Queen') When grown on to 6+ growth clump, the clump will bloom 2 - 3 times a year.

Phrag Inca Embers, or substitute Phrag After-Glow, or Sunset Glow, any one of these are great for oranges and orange-reds. All three have enough longifolium in them that they grow well, and when happy can carry 20+ flowers per inflorescence. Good performers. But they are big plants.

Paph henryanum, I just love this species. Only blooms once a year, but it is charming, a medium to small-ish plant, fits on a windowsill. Long lasting flowers. Or, for a species, you could also substitute superbiens, or purpuratum, or charlesworthii, or spicerianum. All will bloom only once a year.

Like Eric, I think 3 is not enough.

As he suggested, I strongly recommend getting one of the sequential blooming multiflorals, like Pinocchio, or Pine Glow, or Salvador Dali, or Sunny Delight. Or one of the sequential species, primulinum, liemianum, chamberlainianum, or moquettianum or my favorite liemianum. But from this group, start with just one.

I really like hybrids between brachypetalum & or parvisepalum and the sequential multiflorals. My favorites are Annabellchen (liemianum x delenatii), (primulinum x concolor), (bellatulum x glaucophyllum), and others. But get only one of this group, and see how you like them.

There are hundreds more I could recommend, but for a start, they will work.

3 paphs for a beginner:

delenatii

moquettianum or as Leo suggested any species or primary hybrids from this group except victoria-mariae which i know nothing about culture-wise.

And Mem. Larry Heuer, cross between malipoense and emersonii. Not the fastest growing to maturity but its an easy, steady grower. Huge flowers!

species:
delenatii - easy to care for and has beautiful flowers
rothschildianum - the King of Paphs! enough said!
lowii - grows well and puts on a regal display of colorful flowers

hybrids:
Michael Koopowitz - very easy to grow and flower, great easy multifloral
any Maudiae-type hybrid - inexpensive, easy to grow, and can flower twice per year

Stonei anyone?? Easy grower. Slow to mature but once it is. It usually starts to clump having 2-3 new growths in each base.

Paph. helenae, henryanum, coccineum for miniatures. Paph tranlienianum is quite compact as well. Clumps easily and its great if you like the odd but beautiful slipper. Charlesworthii is fairly easily.

Paph delenatii for a fast growing parvi.

For barbata. I guess easiest is wardii and callosum.

Kolopakingii is the only one you need. And the only one you'll have space for. You can almost watch the leaves grow.

Paph. sanderianum- If P. rothschildianum is the king of paphs, this one is the ace of paphs! I know some may disagree. ;-) Awesome 3 foot ribbon like petals. Just google it and see for yourself! Super slow growing but easy enough and worth it.

Phrag. pearcei- Super cute, super easy miniature phrag. Likes tons of water and is adaptable. Love the "green zebra" blooms.

Paph. delenatii v. dunkel- Beautiful dark purple and white blooms. Sometimes scented. The foliage is amazing, almost black undersides.

Paph Pinocchio is easy, beautiful and blooms for months.
A Phrag besseae hybrid for color.
A Paph maudiae hybrid.

Three easy growers and easy bloomers.

That's only 2! Hawaian math?! :poke:

I only need 2; I used to wear the rubber slipper/flip flops, but they caused fungus to grow in between my toes that spread to my orchids. I think that's why all of my bulbophyllums started smelling really bad...

From my experience as a windowsill grower:

Paph. wardii
Paph. callosum
Paph. villosum

All have flowered for me in lowish light, and low humidity.

Back