Murramarang National Park

Slippertalk Orchid Forum

Help Support Slippertalk Orchid Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Definitely agree with Ernie, I would love to see your photos get published! Thanks so much for sharing this amazing ocean scenery through your artistic eye!

Stunning photos! I love the ones with the long shutter speeds!:drool::clap: I need to get some of those graduated filters. So, how many pics do you usually take before you get ones like this that you want to post? That is, if you want to say.:poke:

Wonderful photos. I think its some of the best you've posted here. You daughter is still the most adorable child. Thanks for posting.

Thanks. She certainly doesn't get her looks from me. LOL. She is 2 years older now but no less cute (says a biased father).

:clap::clap::clap::clap:

Are you a professional photographer David!?

Seriously this is publishable, art hanging on the wall quality material.

Thanks Rick. That is the ultimate compliment. I have never sold a photo in my life. I just do if for fun.

WOW. That is some stunning scenery... :D Just awesome... I'm so gonna use them for my desktop wallpaper.. Hope you don't mind.. :D

Go for it.

Stunning photos! I love the ones with the long shutter speeds!:drool::clap: I need to get some of those graduated filters. So, how many pics do you usually take before you get ones like this that you want to post? That is, if you want to say.:poke:

Thanks Kevin. There are quite a lot of photos that don't make it. You tend to experiment a lot of with compositions and light to get the best ones. I will muck around a bit. A lot of photos I take are of slight variations of the same thing. You just keep the one that works best. Also when you have moving objects, such as water, you may need to take a few to get the timing of the waves perfect - such as the first one (which is my favourite). I'm not experienced enough to just walk up and nail it first time every time. But then I was reading a book by professional landscape photographers and one of them said he would keep only 10% of what he shoots. So even the professional photographers only have a small rate of "keepers". I guess you are looking for standout photos. If I went into a shoot and only came away with either of the first or last two photos I'd be happy as they are pretty nice photos where it all came together. I really should print those ones.

David

I know what you mean. I just do it for fun too, but I've never got the quality you have - yet. I was just looking at a magazine of photos of our national parks, and the photos were a lot like yours - absolutely stunning! You really should think about submitting them to contests, or selling them. Keep it up!

Shoot, I keep like 0.01% of what I shoot. :)

Getting some shots like these is on my bucket list.

Canberra is about 1.5 hours from the coast and like most Canberran’s I love nothing more than to head down to the beach on a long weekend during the summer. When you hit Batemans Bay, you either go north or south depending on your favourite location. We always go a little bit north to the Murramarang National Park where there are some great places to camp close to the beach. It has some great wild coastal scenery and you can find plenty of places where there are hardly any people. There are numerous beaches all along the coast, many you can have to yourself. Here are a few photos I have taken of the area.

David

Are there any orchids in that area that you saw?

Are there any orchids in that area that you saw?

There are a few. Right where we camp you can see some Cymbidium suave. We never seem to be there when they are in flower though. There would also be some Dendrobium speciosum although I can't say I have seen them there. They are right up and down the coast although I just can't remember seeing them. I'm sure if you look hard enough you would find some. You would also find some species of Sarcochilus as well as quite a few terrestrial orchids. Most of these things flower in spring and we don't tend to go to the coast at this time as the water doesn't get warm until after Christmas.

David

very nice! unfortunately safari didn't load some of the pictures; it often gets 'impatient' and shows them as no image if they don't load fast enough (I have dialup)

Sorry about that Charles. I can see dial-up being a problem. Given the nature of the photographs it is difficult to post them at a lower resolution. I can post orchid photographs with a back background at very low resolutions (<100kb) and they still look fine but not these sort of complex landscape photos.

David

not your fault! any other worthy web browser would attempt to load any large image, just safari wimps out in their quest to be the 'fastest' browser and puts up a 'missing image' icon if things are slow. if an image looks better at high-res, then that's how it should be posted! :)

Very stunning shots David. I agree that you do get better results with the filters over software and your results are impressive indeed. Question - I notice that your photos have a very long "panoramic" format - do you achieve this through cropping or merging exposures?

Thanks Tom. In terms of these photos it is due to cropping where I thought appropriate. I do stitch photos from time to time but not so in these photos.

David

David, you really should get your photos published. They are reminiscent of Galen Rowell and a few other excellent nature photography photographers I've taught about over the years. I'm very impressed.

Your photos really show how beautiful Australia is, and it is a paradise.

Iam left speechless!!! Extremely impressive photos!! :clap: congrats!!!

David, please, please tell us how you do it... :evil: :D

FOR SURE!!! :drool::drool::drool:
If I lived that close to areas like that, I'd be there at every opportunity!
!

No firm plans yet as it is still a fair way off, but it is likely to be the area we retire to. Apart from the beauty it is a much nicer place to grow orchids. :)

David, you really should get your photos published. They are reminiscent of Galen Rowell and a few other excellent nature photography photographers I've taught about over the years. I'm very impressed.

Thanks Dot. Much appreciated. Still building up the portfolio as they say. :)

Iam left speechless!!! Extremely impressive photos!! :clap: congrats!!!

David, please, please tell us how you do it... :evil: :D

I wouldn't know where to start. I actualy think seascapes are a great place for beginners to start as the compositions tend to be simple but breathtaking at the same time. They are not that difficult, especially when compared to say mountain scenery where it can be hard to capture the jaw dropping scenes in front of you.

As requested I will do a thread on filters for landscapes which you should find of value.

I've never been an artistic person myself. So none of it comes naturally. I worked on it a bit. I read a few landscape photography books to understand the framework of landscape photography. I look at photos of the top photographers and try and understand why they work so well.

If you wanted to take it serious, I would recommend reading these books to get an understanding of the basics - composition and light etc. The first one is by Tim Fitzharris and is considered a bit of a classic (lovely pictures as well). The 2nd is the thoughts of a bunch of professional landscape photographers. Both books are pretty cheap.

http://www.bookdepository.com/Natio...cape-Photography-Tim-Fitzharris/9781554071951

http://www.bookdepository.com/Digital-SLR-Expert-Landscapes-Tom-Mackie/9780715329405

A thread full of jaw-droppers!
David, you are a master behind the opened shutter.

Thanks Clark.

David

Latest posts

Back