Multifloral Paph Hybrids

Slippertalk Orchid Forum

Help Support Slippertalk Orchid Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

JAB

Reaction score
Piggy backing on the excellent conversation re: Paph sanderianum we were having in the pics section. I was wondering what folks' experiences were with various multifloral hybrids? There are some awesome crosses out there and I was hoping to spark a conversation about the various crosses and their strengths and weaknesses.
For instance I have read/heard that the species anitum is incredibly difficult to grow. Is this true in its hybrids? Are there others that are finicky / easier to grow when crossed with XYZ?
Another sub-subject... what are some of the more compact of the multifloral hybrids? For those of us in windowsill's or simply lacking TONS of space, what are your suggestions?

Thanks
Jake

Interesting question, overall I would say most primary hybrids are easier to grow than most species, with phil being an exception.

The rest is up to personal taste but I am finding anitum primaries to be very rewarding to grow

Yup, anitum as a parent my plants are slower growers.
Sometimes it's just the plant. I had an angel hair that was a great grower that I gave away when I went to graduate school. I got another one 4 years ago that's a terrible grower. I'll get another one at the Paph Forum as a pre-order from orchid inn.
My intent on getting new plants is instead of Rothschild as a parent, get st Swithin or Gary Romanga as a parent for easier blooming. E.g. Instead of dolgoldi get st Armani

The best way to get compact multiflorals is to go to a nursery, see a population of blooming-size multis, and pick out the compact ones for yourself. There are indeed hybrids that are naturally compact, mostly involving wilhelminae, but why limit yourself?
For example, I have a Shin-Yi Pearl (Shin-Yi's Pride x sanderianum) spiking right now. It gets flowers to 45cm NSV from a leafspan no wider than a dinner plate.

The best way to get compact multiflorals is to go to a nursery, see a population of blooming-size multis, and pick out the compact ones for yourself. There are indeed hybrids that are naturally compact, mostly involving wilhelminae, but why limit yourself?
For example, I have a Shin-Yi Pearl (Shin-Yi's Pride x sanderianum) spiking right now. It gets flowers to 45cm NSV from a leafspan no wider than a dinner plate.

Unless you are a friend of the owner, I doubt if you can go in and pick the plant for yourself. I wish it is as easy as going to a grocery and pick the prettiest apple. :(

Anitum hybrids can vary as much as roth species on their growing time. Some grow fast , some slow. I have about 30 anitum hybrid large to adult and several flasks. One flask is slow as evolution and one is some of the fastest multi's I have ever grown. The other two are in the middle

Latest posts

Back