MSU injectyion Ratio

Slippertalk Orchid Forum

Help Support Slippertalk Orchid Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Gcroz

2yr HCC Awarded Stud
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I was curious about the proper injection ratio For MSU formula and my Dosatron. I have, in the past, used a 1:100 ratio for Dyna-Gro. There was no ratios listed on the label of the MSU.

Anyone have any suggestions or preferences on the ratio?

Your question actually has too many unknowns for anyone to give you a solid, specific answer.

What formula are you using?
What final concentration are you looking for?

If you used Dyna-Gro "Grow" formula (7-9-5) undiluted at 1:100 (7.68 teaspoons per gallon), you were feeding at over 700 ppm N (which I doubt).

Basically, you decide on whatever your final desired concentration should be, determine the amount of fertilizer per gallon that is, and make your concentrate 100x that for a 1:100 proportioner.

For example, let's say you want to use K-Lite (very similar to MSU RO) at about 50 ppm N with a 1:100 proportioning pump. For 50 ppm N, you need 1.45g per gallon of final solution, so your tank would require 1.45 x 100 = 145 g/gal.

You really should get a conductivity tester so that you can verify that the Dosatron is giving you the ratio you expect. I have stopped using my Dosmatic because it was not reliable when working against a high backpressure. When I would take the spray nozzle off of my watering wand to collect a sample of the fertilizer solution and test the conductivity it would match my expectation but when I would put the spray nozzle on so that there was a high backpressure while collecting the solution for testing then I would find the conductivity to be much lower than I expected - this was using the Dosmatic MiniDos and I find the Dosmatic MicroDos to be even more problematic.

Now I prepare my fertilizer solution in a tank and use a diaphragm pump of the same type that I use for my RO system to deliver the solution to my watering wand.

What hose and nozzle are you using, David, and where was the dosing pump in relation to the pump?

I have a Mini-DOS 2.5% downstream from my shallow-well pump, and it flows through 25' of 5/8" garden hose having a large "Red Head" Dramm water breaker on it. My measured conductivity on the outlet matches my calculated concentration quite well.

Putting the metering pump in a large pipe on the feed side of the pump should eliminate any back-pressure issues.

I have stopped using my Dosmatic because it was not reliable when working against a high backpressure. When I would take the spray nozzle off of my watering wand to collect a sample of the fertilizer solution and test the conductivity it would match my expectation but when I would put the spray nozzle on so that there was a high backpressure while collecting the solution for testing then I would find the conductivity to be much lower than I expected -

Most fertilizer injectors/proportioners have a minimum flow rate. It probably is not back pressure but rather the low flow rate. It's almost the same thing but not quite.

Latest posts

Back