(Mostly) phrags on a rainy morning in Honolulu

Slippertalk Orchid Forum

Help Support Slippertalk Orchid Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

KateL

ST Supporter
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Just a few quick snaps before work, but that will be obvious.

In another thread, I mentioned that I am blooming out a bunch of Phrag Manzur la Aldea. The lighter ones came from a flavum besseae; the darker one did not. Some have side shoots; I think most if not all are first blooms.
FFDEB65B-0915-483D-9800-5F3D62A27A79.jpeg94B9D373-0921-4D8D-8D4B-0041C6FA91BE.jpeg291C99C8-5229-4130-BB9E-C59A162F6FC7.jpegE0B9BDEE-BB17-4545-ACFE-FE0BEE83A943.jpeg3292AC4C-F5C9-4B56-9445-A185A5BAA928.jpeg

Next up - a terrible pic of Phag Acker’s Ballerina x Waunakee Sunset - sort of like a darker Acker’s Ballerina.A15E2E0E-FC90-4402-A40F-706AF374075B.jpeg

Last edited:
My apologies for the duplicates in the last batch - I could not seem to delete them - I “reported” myself so hopefully the “administrator” can help me fix.

Hi Kate!
Are these all from your personal collection? They're gorgeous!
The big, fluffy white blooms; cattleyas, or laelias?
Hi Terry, Yes. Those were all blooming in my back yard this morning.
The big fluffy blooms are indeed cattleyas. The white with yellow inside the lip is a division of C. Esbett’s ‘Diane”. The one with a bit of pink on the frilly lip is labeled Rlc. Madame Edith Bongo ‘NN’, but I expected a bit more pink in the lip. The semi-alba (with the ring of dark red-pink around the lip) is Rlc. Blanche Aisaka ‘Yuki”.
Thanks, Kate

They're splendid, thanks for sharing! I have a Blc. Aloha Mermaid getting ready to spike (little nubbins erupting)! I am so excited for it to bloom, since cattleyas don't do very well here. I do have a few in the college conservatory I run, but they're so far unidentified. When I started work there, almost nothing had a name or a tag or anything!

Wow, Kate! These are amazing. I am not sure where to start the jealous compliments, which are numerous!

Your growing is amazing!! I love you Acker's Dancer and besseae x Fall River. It think Chuck remade this one. Hmmm maybe I need a need to poke around his site?

Also that brassavola is AMAZING. Is that cordata?

Wow, Kate! These are amazing. I am not sure where to start the jealous compliments, which are numerous!

Your growing is amazing!! I love you Acker's Dancer and besseae x Fall River. It think Chuck remade this one. Hmmm maybe I need a need to poke around his site?

Also that brassavola is AMAZING. Is that cordata?
Thank you.
You’ve got a good eye, Darlene! Yes, it’s a Brassavola cordata. The dorsal sepals of this particular plant like to kiss the tips of its lips, but I’ve decided that it’s a feature, not a fault, since it’s decided to throw lots of flowers at me (I told it that I expect even more next year). And yes, the besseae x Fall River, as well as the Acker’s Dancer, came from the hands of Chuck Acker.
I am particularly pleased with the flavum Hanne Popow, which came from Woodstream. The pouch is just a little wonky, but it’s a first flower on a first bloom, so I think it might possibly round out a bit. Now, I have to try to figure out where I put its sibs. Lol.

Last edited:
this one series of posts is enough to satiate any viewer.... awesome collection and growing space...

if you get bored again, would you mind doing a short video tour of growing space?

you have some great options for going vertical with things that typically want to be on benches... lots of great air movement around them...

They're splendid, thanks for sharing! I have a Blc. Aloha Mermaid getting ready to spike (little nubbins erupting)! I am so excited for it to bloom, since cattleyas don't do very well here. I do have a few in the college conservatory I run, but they're so far unidentified. When I started work there, almost nothing had a name or a tag or anything!
Be very careful about that college conservatory. The orchid bug bit me when I was working in a college greenhouse during a horticultural botany class, and it definitely set me off on a different course than I would have otherwise taken. :cool:

Just a few quick snaps before work, but that will be obvious.

In another thread, I mentioned that I am blooming out a bunch of Phrag Manzur la Alea. The lighter ones came from a flavum besseae; the darker one did not. Some have side shoots; I think most if not all are first blooms.
View attachment 22641View attachment 22642View attachment 22643View attachment 22644View attachment 22645

Next up - a terrible pic of Phag Acker’s Ballerina x Waunakee Sunset - sort like a darker Acker’s Ballerina.View attachment 22646
Lovely seedlings.
Next up - Phragmipedium Acker’s Candy, Phrag Dragon’s Blood, Phrag Hanne Popow flavum (first flower; two angles)View attachment 22651View attachment 22656View attachment 22653View attachment 22652
lovely photos of nice seedlings. Your greenhouse looks huge!! You have a lot of work there and you work outside as well. Busy gal!!

this one series of posts is enough to satiate any viewer.... awesome collection and growing space...

if you get bored again, would you mind doing a short video tour of growing space?

you have some great options for going vertical with things that typically want to be on benches... lots of great air movement around them...
Thanks Rich. I will do that one of these days, lol. I was dodging rain showers and avoiding getting to work. I‘m terrible at taking pictures of (and staking) my plants at the right time. Below is an outtake of a Phrag schlimii I snapped yesterday. The darn thing has at least 8 inflorescences, but I think maybe two were blooming at the time. In my defense, I prioritize plant care.
The majority of my plants are hanging in one manner or another and good air flow was a primary consideration.
The outtake of schlimii:4B4A21DF-8A36-4DBC-9910-D460B8AD9F54.jpegAFFB94B1-E3C0-4AA0-AA04-B8E77F705DA3.jpeg9AFE4CB7-21F4-4D4F-A583-782E2F7BA4F3.jpeg

Lovely seedlings.

lovely photos of nice seedlings. Your greenhouse looks huge!! You have a lot of work there and you work outside as well. Busy gal!!
Thanks Belle!
I’ve grown orchids for literally decades, but quite marginally in the child-rearing, career-building years. When our youngest flew the coop, I needed something else to nurture and my collection expanded. Plus, when I finally was able to get my husband to an orchid meeting, he saw that guys grow orchids, too - and quite well I might add. It’s not actually a greenhouse per se, but a number of modular greenhouses and shadehouses that Ian put together for me. I am a lucky gal.

Latest posts

Back