Mislabeled Eumelia Arias

Slippertalk Orchid Forum

Help Support Slippertalk Orchid Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Hamlet

Reaction score
This was the first Phrag I ever bought, in spring 2014. It was a seedling with one growth. After waiting almost two years for it to bloom, it turns out it's not what I paid for. It's supposed to be Eumelia Arias. The petals are kind of small, but I'm pretty sure it's a Fritz Schomburg, no?

20160115-p1151701-ups5zb4.jpg

Thanks for looking! :)

Yay besseae hybrids! Yes it is a Fritz Schomburg, maybe w/ besseae flavum. I'd have to see from the back. Great color. I wish I had taken photos of the ones at H.P. Norton's house, they actually had yellow highlights!!!

I had the exact opposite problem. Paid a premium for a Paph. Fritz Schomburg, didn't need or want another Eumelia Arias, but that's what I ended up with -- another Eumelia Arias. I'd offer to trade, but my mislabeled Frtiz that turned out to be EA is a crappy grower that blasts more spikes than anything with poor flower quality and no fragrance. I should euthanize it or give it to someone I hate.

Gorgeous flower!
Didn't you have doubts about the cross when the plant started to grow twice the size of an Eumelia Arias? ;)
It could either be a Fritz Schombourg or Cirila Alca. I have both and what I can add is that the flower on my CA has an average NS of 15cm, while my FS average around 11-12 cm. ALso, the leaves have a more erect growth and the FS is more horizontal.

I'd say that would be a happy surprise! I'll take a FS or Cirila Alca anyday. Beautiful bloom!

David

Thanks for the comments! So it's probably a Fritz.

Yay besseae hybrids! Yes it is a Fritz Schomburg, maybe w/ besseae flavum. I'd have to see from the back. Great color. I wish I had taken photos of the ones at H.P. Norton's house, they actually had yellow highlights!!!

Here's a quick shot of the back:

20160116-p1161723-2u8qjh.jpg

I had the exact opposite problem. Paid a premium for a Paph. Fritz Schomburg, didn't need or want another Eumelia Arias, but that's what I ended up with -- another Eumelia Arias. I'd offer to trade, but my mislabeled Frtiz that turned out to be EA is a crappy grower that blasts more spikes than anything with poor flower quality and no fragrance. I should euthanize it or give it to someone I hate.

Sorry to hear about your plant. I get rid of crappy plants, more space for non-crappy ones. :)

The funny thing is, if this is FS, that I was deciding between Eumelia Arias and Fritz. I wanted the FS but I went with the EA because it was much cheaper. I thought I might kill it, having never grown Phrags before, and the cheaper plant would be less money lost.

I'd say it's a nice FS, not CA. I'd love to own this one! However, it's too bad about the mislabelling. That's always disappointing, no matter what you get instead.

Indeed, but I don't mind too much in this case, for the aforementioned reason. :)

Gorgeous flower!
Didn't you have doubts about the cross when the plant started to grow twice the size of an Eumelia Arias? ;)
It could either be a Fritz Schombourg or Cirila Alca. I have both and what I can add is that the flower on my CA has an average NS of 15cm, while my FS average around 11-12 cm. ALso, the leaves have a more erect growth and the FS is more horizontal.

I have another Fritz, which has wider, shorter and darker leaves than the first growth of this plant, it looked pretty different. The second growth, that produced this flower, looks very similar to the first Fritz, though. It's just a much lighter green. Maybe that's a besseae flavum influence? NS is about 12cm.

I think that it is a FS, a typical one. I would agree also with Eric and others, it could have been made using flavum besseae.

I'd love to see a whole plant photo. I have a labelled EA
that hasn't bloomed and it's a multi-growth sizable plant.
The foliage doesn't look like any of my other Phrags. It's
quite nice, but I'm beginning to doubt just what the heck
it really is. Your bloom is gorgeous.

Back