Miscellaneous stuff

Slippertalk Orchid Forum

Help Support Slippertalk Orchid Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Rec'd a mystery package at home. one of the bags is definitely Cyps with long roots, the rest??? Can anyone ID these leaves, spotted on one side /purple on the other?? Thanks. :confused:

PB291149.jpg

PB291148.jpg

PB291147.jpg

Man you are lucky Eric, they are all cyps. The ones with the spotted leaves are the chinese ones that have only two leaves that sit low on the ground. It could be a number of species I forget the names right now. The spots are made to look like the plant is sick so it wont be eaten and it attracts pollinators. Definitely cyps. I have been looking for where to buy this kind for a long time, and you get a mystery package. SO LUCKY! I am happy for you that is a good day.

OK thanks. As soon as I can remember if this is a gift, or an old order just getting fulfilled, or plants i'm supposed to send somewhere i'll feel better. if they're mine i'll forward some to you.

Man you are lucky Eric, they are all cyps. The ones with the spotted leaves are the chinese ones that have only two leaves that sit low on the ground. It could be a number of species I forget the names right now. The spots are made to look like the plant is sick so it wont be eaten and it attracts pollinators. Definitely cyps. I have been looking for where to buy this kind for a long time, and you get a mystery package. SO LUCKY! I am happy for you that is a good day.

Sorry never cpy, I think it is native americans ;)

Sorry never cpy, I think it is native americans ;)

The ones in the bag and in the second picture may be native American cyps. But the third picture are definitely cyps. And there are none in america that have markings on there leaves like that I will find a picture.

These pictures are from Hakone's post cypripedium 2012. Thwy don't match exactly but it gives you a good idea.

li01_zpse184c57b.jpg

lichiangense01_zpsadfa1c21.jpg

lichiangense20121_zpsb73bd4e1.jpg

The ones in the bag and in the second picture may be native American cyps. But the third picture are definitely cyps. And there are none in america that have markings on there leaves like that I will find a picture.

Sorry, Dido is correct. Those are North American native non-Cyp orchids. The second and third photos depict Aplectrum hyemale and Tipularia discolor, respectively. You can probably find both in your neck of the woods if you poke around some.

It is still a nice package to find unexpectedly. I did some gogle searches and the other plants look very cool also. I would like to try to grow more native orchids, including more cypripediums. I had no idea so many orchids grow in this area.

Tipularia grows very well for me but this bastards dont like to flower....

I have really good succes with inorganic soil and pure Kanuma/Perlite.

The Aplectrum are more easier but dont like to flower too like the chinese relaitives. One of them have flowered 2 years ago they grow like hell for me but no flower again.... I am making something wrong with all of them...

By the way dont forget the other great orchids which you can find in US.

They are a shipment I am forwarding to someone. I knew it was coming but had no idea what it was and the package came incognito! Luckily for the person who will ultimately get the package I already have some of these growing! :evil:

Where did you come across the tigrinum? One of my favorites and I am always looking for some. They look like very healthy plants. You can send me a PM if you have some info or know where I can get one. Thanks.

Back